Honored Contributor

Re: Former President Bill Clinton Hospitalized

was so worried when I first heard this news... but sounds like he might go home today so feel relieved.

Esteemed Contributor

@granddi 

drink fluids, cranberry juice. Urinary retention from enlarged prostate  or poor hygeine  are common causes that I have seen in elderly men

Honored Contributor

@skatting44  @granddi   I think I read for women, good hygiene, not holding urine for too long, limited tight jeans/leggings and changing clothing if they're  damp/sweaty. 

Honored Contributor

@granddi wrote:

@Scooby Doo wrote:

Urinary tract infections are fairly common in people that age.  His turned septic.  My neighbor died from the same thing.  He waited too long to get treatment and the sepsis killed his heart muscle.

Any guidance on keeping a healthy uninary tract with advancing age or any age. 

D-mannose capsules or powder 1500mg/day - or as close to that total as possible.

I have a history of urological and nephrological issues and chronic UTI"s is one of them.  Also, stay as hydrated as possible.

Esteemed Contributor

Hoping for a speedy recovery of President Clinton.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Great question, grandi.  I'm about to go to the next page to see if there are any good responses.

It does plague oldsters and often kills them.  Not to mention that when infected and untreated, you can become hallucinatory (from what I've witnessed.  I am on page 1 at the moment).

ETA:  I just read the advice tips.  Thank you.

Honored Contributor

@granddi wrote:

@granddi 

A semi-educated guess. Cleanliness and keep the bladder and kidneys working, IE: drink lots of fluid. Easiest way to maybe help I can think of anyways.

Will it help? Don't see how it could do any harm. Working in high heat for years and running outdoors in hot and humid weather, I have always drank a lot of H2o. Never had this urinary issue and 7 years his senior.

Sounds like he is doing much better today. 

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Here's to a speedy recovery President Clinton.  Take good care.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Good thing that it was caught in time and he should be ok. Will bring awareness to this issue.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

@granddi wrote:

@Scooby Doo wrote:

Urinary tract infections are fairly common in people that age.  His turned septic.  My neighbor died from the same thing.  He waited too long to get treatment and the sepsis killed his heart muscle.

D-mannose capsules or powder 1500mg/day - or as close to that total as possible.

I have a history of urological and nephrological issues and chronic UTI"s is one of them.  Also, stay as hydrated as possible.

I swear by D Mannose as well. If I feel a little more ahem urgent than usual, I get out the D Mannose and take it for a few days and it clears right up.

(Of course, if I didn't catch it right away or it didn't go away I would go get an antibiotic prescription at the doc.) Waiting is a bad idea.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr