Honored Contributor

This morning on the George Stephanopolous talk show on ABC, Martha Radditz did an excellent report on the West Coast shipping crisis.  One amazing statistic mentioned was that the average cost of shipping a container of goods pre-pandemic was $1300.  Now it's about $16,000.  And people wonder why prices are escalating? Of course this is just one of the factors as there are many others. 

After the good finally get shipped to us after their arduous journey, our own postal service is further holding up their delivery. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: Who's Paying for Shipping?

Well, i don't know if this will get better for now, if only people would had not wanted to pay extra for usa made, and companies went out of business.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

I believe it.....but our situation has caused a bonanza for some industries to take full advantage to increase costs.  Charge whatever the traffic will allow or accept.

Not needing a thing..... except for a half tank of gasoline to top my tank...I'm sitting back watching this current event. ...with interest.

Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest I'm with you! I try to purchase Made in the USA when I can!

However my new American made vehicle is being held up because mining of silica has been banned, so the computer chips made in the Silicon Valley can't be obtained! I swear I will cancel this car if they have to get the chip from overseas!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, and companies leasing cargo ships are paying $100,000 a day and before this mess, $20,000 a day.  That doesn't cover fuel and taxes.  

Just learned, but should have been on top of it, CA passed an EPA law some years ago requiring all trucks operating within and entering the state must pass that law.  None of the other states have this EPA requirement.  

Evidently, it's very expensive for independent truckers and small trucking companies to get their trucks ready.  Only 50% of all trucks that could pick up cargo in CA currently pass.  

Walmart, Amazon, Lowes, Home Depot and other big companies decided not to use California ports.  They are going through the Panama Canal to Houston, Savannah, and East coast ports to bypass California.  

It takes longer, but they are getting their orders sooner than through California.  Not enough trucks picking up cargo in California has become a huge obstacle.  

For those wanting to know more about it, there are articles as far back as 2012 that explain California's EPA standards and current articles explaining how this has thrown a monkey wrench in deliveries throughout the country.    

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Time is money and the longer those boats sit out there in the ocean, the more money it will cost us. Think of it as interest you pay on a loan...same kind of thing going on there.

The global supply crisis is like a relay race but it doesn't matter how fast a runner can go if the baton is not there. The the race comes to a halt.

Esteemed Contributor

Been to 2  local Home Goods  a couple of times this month .  Have noticed they can't keep furniture  .  It's a buying freenzy . As soon as it comes in it's sold. If interested you'd better pay for it that same day.  Noticed  Barcaloungers in leather ,  sofa's , dining rooms sets , entertainment  centers all  marked paid waiting for customers to pick up.

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee    You always report such good factual information about this situation. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Jacie wrote:

@goldensrbest I'm with you! I try to purchase Made in the USA when I can!

However my new American made vehicle is being held up because mining of silica has been banned, so the computer chips made in the Silicon Valley can't be obtained! I swear I will cancel this car if they have to get the chip from overseas!

@Jacie  I thought a number of foreign parts are used in American made cars. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Foxxee    You always report such good factual information about this situation. 

@Kachina624 

Thank you!  What a nice thing to say.