Honored Contributor

Re: For those that are retired

Typically ...

I'm up everyday for 8am Mass on EWTN .... then breakfast. Long soak in tub and dressed for day.

I have regularly scheduled webinars, webcasts and Zoom meetings every week.  Lunch with friend every other Friday.

I have my knitting, crocheting, stack of reading material, etc.., etc.,  

Usual household chores, special projects (reorganizing closets, books, shoes, yarn, kitchen.)  Cooking, eating, cleanng up afterwards.

Usual outside errands / chores - shopping, bank, package pickup, out for a walk everday.  I almost always run into someone when I'm out - and we'll sit and chat for a while.

Church related activities - occasional meeting, online stuff, telephone stuff.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been retired for 7 years and love it. Am I busy all the time? Absolutely not, and that's just fine with me. I get up too early (still) but take a nap when I feel like it. I always have a book that I'm reading, do a few housecleaning chores (I'm not a fanatic), feed the birds and deer, take care of our 3 cats, go to my local grocer every week, watch a few TV programs with hubby, make something for us to eat everyday (once a day), check Facebook and email.....ho-hum - nothing big and nothing too exciting!

I see the outside world by going to Walgreens, the gas station (for lottery tickets) and the grocery store every week. I've been careful since March, and I'll continue to do that. I'm happy that I can always find something to do, no matter how small, and I won't be isolated in my home while I'm still able to get out!

Esteemed Contributor

Yes retired but still attempting to make the best of what is going on.  We go out to one place a day just to hold back the insanity.  It could be Walmart or Costco or someplace in the grocery category.  I go to Zoom events... square dancing of course.  I watch reruns, one series at a time.  Now  almost finished with Murder She Wrote.  If the weather is okay we walk a few blocks around the neighborhood or go to a local walking path.  I use the phone and Internet to contact friends and family. 

We will survive and then will appreciate Normal, hopefully soon. 

Honored Contributor

@pprmntstx 

I love color and the creative process (got to teach the color to some classes).  I had an appointment as a stylist (at least I didn't make 1,000 wreaths!) about 4 weeks before I retired from teaching.

I have now been in retail for 10 years, half the time as the top stylist where I worked.

Had a lot of fun, enjoy what I do, have met some wonderful people, and some that were worse than horrible.  (There always has to be one!!!Smiley Happy.

Respected Contributor

I agree with everything poster aroc3435 stated above.  I find retirement sheer bliss.  Complete freedom to do what I want when I want it.  I treasure every day I am retired.

Trusted Contributor

I have been retired since 2008 and I love every minute of it. In the last 13 years (I can't believe how fast they have gone!) I have learned to belly dance, and play the guitar. I do Meals on Wheels twice a week because virus or no virus, people have to eat! Before the pandemic I would have lunch in a restaurant with friends once a week but that's on hold due to the virus. During this summer we would get take out and meet in the park for lunch where we could spread out. I knit and crochet, read a lot. I joined a Zoom book club. I FaceTime or Zoom with my kids, as they live in different states.

A typical day goes like this: I get up early, have breakfast and get on the computer for awhile, take a shower, get dressed in real clothes, do some cleaning or laundry; go out to the grocery store or general shopping. I also walk at least 2 miles every day (weather permitting). Because of the pandemic, I have been cooking more, and I've learned to bake my own bread. So I do keep rather busy but there are days when I don't feel like doing anything and that's okay too. And I love my afternoon naps! 

Super Contributor

I retired young to care for a sick parent. The first 4 1/2 years I didn't feel retired. My life was consumed with caregiving, doctors, hospitals, and medications. Mother passed away 2 1/2 years ago and I miss her terribly. For 2 years, I subbed at least 3 days 1/2 days. That consumed part of the day and I got to interact with others. Due to Covid, I made the decision to not sub this year. I really miss people living alone. I fill my day like others. Reading, TV, cleaning house, computer, purging various items, and grocery shopping. I do feel lonely and restless because I need people's company occasionally.

Valued Contributor

In January 2021, it will be one year for me and my spouse.  The first two months we laughed all the time and were giddy about not having to go to work.  We took a couple of short up north trips, went out to breakfast and enjoyed getting together with some of our friends.

March - December

Very hard to adjust (me more than him).  I am a busy bee, worked since I was 16 and was 64 when I stopped.  FT always.  Up at 6 worked all day home around 6:15.  

Virus has stopped my socializing for the most part.  I continue to go to the store, doctor, dentist, hair salon (except during shutdown), restaurant and a select few social occasions.  We have been safe.  We go for lots of long drives.  

Summer:  we camped at 12 state parks in our new truck camper which we bought in Ohio in June.  No socializing - just the two of us outdoors.  Loved our MI summer this year - sat outside a LOT.  Walked a lot.  

Dog was put down in July due to advanced age.  Still missing him, but we plan to get a golden in the spring.  Sure do miss my buddy on my lap.  

Would love to get a part time job but don't want to wear a mask.  I wish to resume volunteering (I do give blood regularly).  

Here's what I love:  not getting up until 8.  I haven't felt this rested in 20 years.  I am off two medications.  Banking was a stressful job and today's employees do not have the same work ethic as they did 20 years ago.  Some do but not the majority.  

I don't miss:  so many unnecessary emails, meetings, having to juggle time off, dr. appts., traffic, annoying coworkers who were talking instead of working (which that's up to them but they were distracting me from doing my work due to no more cubicles (open floor plan).  That about put me over the edge.  Boomer vs millenial I felt 100 years old.  It's hard to be in your 60's when 90% of your coworkers are between 25 and 35.

My husband isn't the healthiest person and although I have MANY things to be thankful for, we are anxious to start our travel before someone dies.  Two of my BFFs have lost their spouses at age 50 and recently we lost 3 other friends/family.  We did not have the luxury of taking extensive vacations when we worked because our jobs were demanding.  We would like to go out west and see the USA.  No desire whatsoever to go to another country other than Canada.  DH has too many health issues to get stuck in a foreign country.  

My son is out of state and he/fiancee wanted to get married this year.  Hopefully next year!

I am healthy and grateful.  I wish my mom was alive so we could hang out but then again, no we couldn't, right?  

I pray that everyone stays healthy and that we get out of this situation soon! 

Respected Contributor

"A day like any other day, except You Are There".