Valued Contributor

What is a day like for you?

Honored Contributor

Re: For those that are retired

Somewhat lonely and boring.  I live alone and have rarely been out since the middle of last February.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Very busy.

Respected Contributor

Well since covid I stay in except for going to physical therapy after my second right knee replacement in Sept.  I order groceries online, Face time my 5 yo grandson, watch TV and play candy crush. Sounds like fun right ?  Oh and one more thing, I thank the Lord daily that I'm blessed to still be here to enjoy my retirement

Valued Contributor

Not really a fair question in light of the current state of affairs in the world now! Daily life is hampered by the Coronavirus. I think most of us who are retired do everything possible to ensure our health takes first place now.

Hopefully this too shall pass. I worked since I was in high school and retired at 65. Now I thoroughly enjoy my freedom to do as I please when I please. I don't answer to no one. Nothing better than that!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pprmntstx   A day full of freedom to shape as I wish--free of micromanaging bosses, deadlines, irate clients, office politics . . . can you tell I am enjoying my third into fourth year of retirement?

Love not being on a schedule, not having to force myself to go in during severe snowstorms because so few of the others could or would show up and the office was still expected to function . . .

Not having a set time to get up or go to bed . . . doing work around the house when I want to, being able to curl up with a good book and read at my leisure . . . having an unhurried lunch at the time of my choosing and not looking at my watch to avoid being late getting back . . .

Not having to ask to take my well earned accrued vacation and being asked to rearrange it for the office's convenience, or not being able to take it at all during newly instituted "blackout" periods despite our crew having always maintained excellent office coverage for the prior thirty-three years through the loyal staff volunteering to make sure things got done . . .

My department gradually became increasingly rigid over the last five years before I left and the co-workers I still am in touch with say it has only grown moreso and they are dreading having to go back in physically full time; now they work from home full time and only go in twice a week to attend to things that can't be handled remotely.

So, that's what retirement feels like to me.  The only obstactle now is this pandemic.  When that is finally wrestled to the ground and vanquished life will be serene for me, and hopefully us all, again.

aroc3435

Washington, DC 

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Somewhat lonely and boring.  I live alone and have rarely been out since the middle of last February.

@Kachina624 

It's mind boggling to think it's nearing a year. Here's a question, if not for covid how would you have spent a normal day?  Covid sure has been limiting. 

Honored Contributor

@Re: For those that are retired

@aroc3435     You said it so well.  There isn't much I could add! (Except that I had to work Christmas because I didn't have "family at home".....and I had to work New Year's Eve because I didn't have a "sweetie")   di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624    I know what you mean.   I just ordered 9 books from Amazon to get me thru the Christmas holidays.   I do not care for "sentimental TV".....so it's just me and the chili pepper lights, and a book! 

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I jump for joy every morning when I wake up I don't have to go to work.

I do whatever I want during the day; although, I make lists of what I need, as well as, want to get done.  

I'm thankful I don't have to work with people carrying their personal baggage into work anymore.  

It felt like prison with all the routine, ridiculous policies, and overlords.  I feel free now.  

I'm still at the point where I want to stay home and rest from that previous stressful, hectic life.  Don't miss it at all.