Respected Contributor

Re: For those that are retired

Totally agree with @aroc3435  - free to do whatever I want whenever I want. Some chores, some baking, some reading, some needlework. I used to be at work by 6 or 6:30 in the morning. Sometimes I spend so much time over my coffee in the morning I don't get dressed until nine! I would go shopping more but there's just so darned little I need!

I took my time and spent two full weeks - maybe a little more - putting my Christmas decorations out. I will spend the next couple of weeks baking.

Respected Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@pprmntstx   A day full of freedom to shape as I wish--free of micromanaging bosses, deadlines, irate clients, office politics . . . can you tell I am enjoying my third into fourth year of retirement?

Love not being on a schedule, not having to force myself to go in during severe snowstorms because so few of the others could or would show up and the office was still expected to function . . .

Not having a set time to get up or go to bed . . . doing work around the house when I want to, being able to curl up with a good book and read at my leisure . . . having an unhurried lunch at the time of my choosing and not looking at my watch to avoid being late getting back . . .

Not having to ask to take my well earned accrued vacation and being asked to rearrange it for the office's convenience, or not being able to take it at all during newly instituted "blackout" periods despite our crew having always maintained excellent office coverage for the prior thirty-three years through the loyal staff volunteering to make sure things got done . . .

My department gradually became increasingly rigid over the last five years before I left and the co-workers I still am in touch with say it has only grown moreso and they are dreading having to go back in physically full time; now they work from home full time and only go in twice a week to attend to things that can't be handled remotely.

So, that's what retirement feels like to me.  The only obstactle now is this pandemic.  When that is finally wrestled to the ground and vanquished life will be serene for me, and hopefully us all, again.

aroc3435

Washington, DC 

Very well stated@aroc3435  Your words express my feelings exactly.

Esteemed Contributor

Prior to Covid19 I enjoyed being retired ... the day was mine to do whatever I wanted but, now with the virus I stay home & don’t go anywhere because I am afraid of catching the virus ... I order everything I need on line & have it delivered .... I really miss life prior to Covid19 😢😪

Honored Contributor

@rockygems123 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Somewhat lonely and boring.  I live alone and have rarely been out since the middle of last February.

@Kachina624 

It's mind boggling to think it's nearing a year. Here's a question, if not for covid how would you have spent a normal day?  Covid sure has been limiting. 

@rockygems123.  I'd be out about running errands,, shopping for groceries, talking to people,, visiting with neighbors..  Maybe visiting my sister who I haven't seen in 7 years.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's interesting how the virus has affected everyone, even those of us who are retired.  Before the virus hit, my kids were all away at school and on their own,  Now two of them are back are at home and I'm busy doing all of the things that I did before they left.  I was very happy when they were at school and I did what I wanted to do and I'm still very happy now that they're back, but for different reasons.  

For those that are lonely, please consider adopting a rescue pet unless you are allergic.  It is a win-win situation!

Respected Contributor

I just finished writing my 10th novel last weekend. I upload my novels to Kindle. I started using a pen name when I was working and still do. I think the word "retirement" is different for everyone. I retired from my regular job earlier than I wanted to due to COVID. But that doesn't mean I've stopped being productive, creative, involved in the community, or having goals.

I'm curious; @pprmntstx why are you wondering about what retired people do? How is your day? Are you considering retiring from a job? If so, how do you see your day changing from working at your job to retiring? There are so many choices, and the possibilities are endless.

Valued Contributor

I've been retired for 5 years and it is such a blessing.  No alarm clocks but I do have some structure.  I always have something crafty going on and stacks of books to read.  I just started a biography of Lafayette after finishing a children's book I reread, Bunnicula: a Rabbit Tale of Mystery.  

Monday I took down the fall decorations.  Tuesday polished the furniture.  Wednesday Mr. Wonderful and I put up the Christmas tree and I've been decorating.  I won't decorate quite as much this year because we won't be having anyone over due to Covid restrictions.  Mr. W suggested we have Christmas in July when we hope everyone can join us so when I pack up all the Christmas stuff in January I'm going to sort a couple of boxes to get out in July.

I garden when the weather allows.  I do miss swimming and hope to return to the Y this spring after a number of us have been vaccinated against Covid.  I do miss traveling and hope to resume a year from now. 

The weekly Bible study I attend moved to Zoom a while ago.  We'll start up again in January.  Next week I'll join a zoom tea with 3 younger former colleagues.  We all create our own afternoon tea and share it together while we talk.  In the summer we had picnic teas in the park.  I've done online teas like this with my sisters and some other friends and they are fun and creative.

This year has been much different than the first 4 years of retirement.  I miss seeing my sisters regularly and visiting my husband's family in another state.  We had Thanksgiving lunch on the patio last weekend with each household at their own table.  There were only 6 of us but it worked out very well. 

Love your moniker @pprmntstx 

Esteemed Contributor

I have been retired quite a while and thoroughly enjoy the freedom from working, as does my DH.

The pandemic has changed things so much.  We can’t visit with our DD and SIL, our DS and DIL and our two GC.  GS will be 13 soon and GD 8 soon.  And my DB and our Friday night movie and pizza nights.  Phone calls, texting, and zoom are not enough.  Miss friends, too.

No more volunteer work, therapeutic pool swims, going to museums, going out to eat, and travel plans on hold.  

But we are grateful for all we have.  A loving family and some good friends, having access to good medical care, and being able to continue to live in the home we love.  We are up in years and have learned it’s important to be grateful and yet hopeful for better days.  

We adopted our sweet boy Winston kitty before the pandemic,

and this little guy keeps us laughing.  Both our kids said they would take him in gladly if we couldn’t care for him anymore.

We just can’t enjoy life without a pet.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@rockygems123 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Somewhat lonely and boring.  I live alone and have rarely been out since the middle of last February.

@Kachina624 

It's mind boggling to think it's nearing a year. Here's a question, if not for covid how would you have spent a normal day?  Covid sure has been limiting. 

@rockygems123.  I'd be out about running errands,, shopping for groceries, talking to people,, visiting with neighbors..  Maybe visiting my sister who I haven't seen in 7 years.

@Kachina624 That sounds nice, to be out and about, not rushed and talking to people. Is your sister close by?  You reminded me that my sister and I haven't seen each other for about the same  amount of time. We're a state apart, maybe it's time to make tentative plans. 

Honored Contributor

@pprmntstx    I've always been a homebody so I enjoy the peace and quiet of not having to go anywhere if I don't want to.  My whole life was alway rush, rush to be somewhere and to get things done.  I now actually get less done as far as cleaning, laundry, etc but there is always tomorrow  I still am an early riser 3:00-4:00 am but now I can workout more - which I enjoy and can walk with my dog daily for 3- 5 miles now.  I worked in a large office and actually liked my hectic job (just not the BS those in charge needlessly created) so I do miss the daily interactions but still have contact with many  and more so now with Covid.  Covid has not really affected much for us as except for going out to eat occasionally,  meeting with friends and an occasional family get together (which were fun but not a necessity), my SO and I have basically the same life as before and are content.     Retirement is a no structured life and I love it!!!