Respected Contributor

@caroln242 wrote:

The other day my sister was over at my house and at lunchtime she started making a sandwich...on a paper towel.  I said, "I clean my counters all the time, they're clean".  She said she always puts food on a paper towel or a cutting board, never on a counter.

A friend of mine does the same thing, but she has cats that roam all over her counters so I understand that.  I have no cats, no animals of any kind, wipe down my counters constantly and have put bread, etc. on the counter for 50 years.  No problems.

Am I being gross, putting food on my kitchen counter?  I thought that's what they were for! 

What do you guys do?

I have no animals, but wouldn't think of making a sandwich or anything else with out putting a paper towel down first.

Respected Contributor

I don't cut or prepare food directly on my counter.  Never gave it much thought, just a habit.  I'd rather wipe off my cutting board then the counter top.  @caroln242  Its no big deal and I don't think there is a right or wrong way so keep doing what you are accustomed to.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I never place food directly on the counters. 

Super Contributor

If your counters are clean, you are not being gross, but don't you have to clean your counters more often if you prepare food directly on them? I put food on top of a plate or cutting board or something to prevent getting my counter dirty! 

Super Contributor

@PreKteacher wrote:

If your counters are clean, you are not being gross, but don't you have to clean your counters more often if you prepare food directly on them? I put food on top of a plate or cutting board or something to prevent getting my counter dirty! 

Actually, the space I use for preparing food, sandwiches, etc. is just about maybe 3 feet long.  It's right next to the sink, so it gets cleaned many times a day.  But it's quick, just wipe it up right after using it.  After dinner I go around and wipe down all the counters whether I've used them or not.  Like someone said...dust, odds and ends being set on them during the day, etc.

Man plans. God laughs.
Valued Contributor

I never put food directly on the counter.  I always use a cutting board and when making a sandwich use the plate I will be eating from.  Just safer IMO.

Honored Contributor

I put it on a plate. Even if I trusted my counters cleanliness, I wouldn't want to cut a sandwich on it and damage it.

Honored Contributor

Well, they're your counters and it's your food so I don't need to judge. 

For me, no I don't put food right on the counters.    I'm pretty nutty about my food-pickiness, though.   There are lots of things I don't do that are probably perfectly fine for others.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I tend not to put food on counters. I'll put it directly onto a dish of some kind, paper towel or paper plate.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

I have (what seems like) a million cats and have no qualms about preparing food right on the counter or eating food right off the counter, lol. I do have the luxury of a fully functioning immune system though!