Contributor

I know shipping and handling is included in the price of the food on QVC but the prices are outrageous.  I honestly find it hard to believe how many of these products sell out.  The prices on cookies, cakes, meat, etc. is beyond ridiculous.  I'm watching Food Fest right now and I am just amazed that people wll pay these prices.

Honored Contributor

Not everyone lives in areas where stores are plentiful.  The town I live in doesn't have a grocery store.  The gas station has a couple aisles of basics.  There are likely dozens of reasons why people buy.  

Honored Contributor

For some, it's a way of sending a gift of food to friends or family.  Prices ... yes, they are high, but it's a way to do what they want to do.  Not everyone can get out to get things they would like to have or try.  Do wish they could make it more affordable, but the Q needs to make their money.  Promise the vendors aren't getting it.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Trusted Contributor

Why people purchase foods items here is really their own business.  I am sure the OP and others make plenty of purchases that others here might find overprices or frivilous, but that is no one else's business either.

Yes, food prices are relatively expensive, but man of the items are more reasonable here than at other mail order sources, and again,how people choose to spend their money is their own business.

Honored Contributor

I think, too, that many (including myself) forget that there are a lot of people in this country who make a lot of money. These prices, while high, are so easily within the means of many people, and they don't think twice about the price because of the convenience and quality of what they are getting. For many, it is easier to order many of these items in, than to shop, cook/bake and clean up. This is easy, and well within their means. 

Often, people who make a lot of money, have little time, and find this kind of convenience worth every penny.

Trusted Contributor

Yeah, the prices are obscene, but I think the cakes are the worst.  Luckily there are other sources, and I'm getting more food from Amazon than any other online source.  I can also avoid the dreaded variety pack and get precisely what I want while spending less.  Kind bars are a great example of the latter.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Honored Contributor

I buy Mrs. Prindables apples and Cheryl's cookies as gifts for family and friends, and my teacher daughter gifts them to her coworkers at Christmas.   I also buy Juniors mini cheesecakes as a special holiday treat for my family.  My husband and I are diabetic, and limit ourselves with enjoying sweet treats.  Splitting one of the cheesecakes is perfect for us, and still lets us maintain control of our blood sugar.   I do not do any baking during the holiday and generally avoid the temptation of having sweets in the house, but after several years, have learned we do well with having these mini cheesecakes in the freezer.  

Honored Contributor

I buy Mrs. Prindables apples, Germack, and Cheryl's cookies as gifts for family and friends, and my teacher daughter gifts them to her coworkers.  I also buy Juniors mini cheesecakes as a special holiday treat for my family.  My husband and I are diabetic, and limit ourselves with enjoying sweet treats.  Splitting one of the cheesecakes is perfect for us, and still lets us maintain control of our blood sugar.   I do not do any baking during the holiday and generally avoid the temptation of having sweets in the house, but after several years, have learned we do well with having these mini cheesecakes in the freezer.   One box will do us from Thanksgiving until Easter, so I feel I get my monies worth.   

Honored Contributor

Outrageous compared to what? 

The only outrageous thing I see in the post is to blame the company doing the selling when it's pretty obvious plenty of customers exist for the product as it's priced.

When companies try to sell what no one sees value in, those companies either change or they die.  Neither seems to be necessary for QVC right now.

Honored Contributor

I do find the prices of some food items outrageous, but by and large it's not QVC, but the fact that such prices are the online norm whether you buy from QVC or the company's own website, or search yourself and comparison shop.  The price of mail order food, and the shipping of such food, is high.

I bought some cookies last year from a highly touted online seller of baked goods, and while the price of the cookies was bearable with a discount, the shipping charges were 40% the cost of the cookies! I waited until they had a free shipping offer. And at that, they arrived none too fresh and weren't that great. I would have been really ticked if I'd paid full price shipping and they arrived almost stale.

I once bought some Germack from the Germack website and it was 3 weeks before I received my order, with standard shipping, which also was none too cheap.

That said, I totally get paying a premium price for a premium product and the convenience, but more than half of QVC's edible offerings do not get stellar taste reviews. That, I do not get, unless people just order for gifts and don't care whether the gifts are good or not.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all