Respected Contributor

Re: Flu Rampant, No Beds Available At Hospital.

We're in north central NC.  I use disposable masks when I clean out our cat's litter boxes due to the dust that gets stirred up.  DH went shopping on a few days last week and those masks seem to be sold out everywhere.  I guess people are trying to protect themselves from flu and other nasty illnesses. 

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree 

I got the shot as I do every year and ended up in the hospital in isolation for FluB, and double pneumonia, I was there for 6 nights, 6 of the nights in isolation due tot he flu

@chrystaltree wrote:

Blame it on people who refuse to get flu shots.  The flu shots aren't 100%, they say around 50% this year , my little niece did indeed get her flu shot in September.  She did get the flu a few weeks about but because had the shot, she was sick for just 3 days and her symptoms were mild.  That's the value of the flu shot, even if you contract the flu, it will be much milder, you don't get very sick. You don't up hospitalized. It's so odd, everyone's ranting about the Wuhan Coronovirus but it's the flu that is running rampant.    

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

There's plenty of blame to go around.  I have chosen to not receive a flu vaccine for many years because I always got sick for several days after getting the vaccine.  The illness was not as severe as the flu, but severe enough that I was unable to work. Since then, I no longer go out of my home to work;  I can work off site via computers. I also have not had the flu!

Going to work while sick or sending children to school when they're ill are also to blame for spreading illnesses such as flu, colds, etc.  Older children should be able to wash their hands and use sanitizers, but how can everyone be protected from airborne germs and viruses?  Almost impossible. 

Trusted Contributor

Our large hospital has been under code red for awhile now.  It was just reported that  they have a temporary ban barring children under 16 from visiting.  They state that children are more likely to get the flu and are more contageous longer than adults.

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

I have a friend who was taken to the ER last Friday by her husband at her dr’s request...they are still waiting in the ER for a room upstairs because her dr wants to admit her for liver disease problems. They have her in a large room with several patients with only a curtain between each person.  No way to treat a sick person. I wonder how many in thatcbig room have the flu? She thought about going home but she needs an IV and is very sick. Her poor husband has had to miss three days of work so far. Her daughter is flying in today from SC so maybe she can shake things up.

She's been in the Er for 4 days?  

Honored Contributor

Sending healing thoughts for your sister.

I've never been admitted for flu, but for other reasons & the excuse I was always given was "housekeeping needs to clean a room"

At my hospital, often patients are discharged after the doctors are finished up with their office appointments.  

A couple of school systems are closed due to so many absent students, they say due to flu.    The school calls a crew to disinfect.

Honored Contributor

From my observation,  the elderly are usually treated terribly in hospitals. They are the last ones to get a room or anything else in short supply, Shameful.the attitude seems to be “ you have lived long enough”. I have a family member who needs a new kidney. Her dr told her she was too old for one. She is 66. She has lived long enough.

Honored Contributor

I got a bad case of flu last year even though I had the flu shot.I was caring for my mom and had to go to emergency and doctors offices with her.I got sick and so did she.

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

From my observation,  the elderly are usually treated terribly in hospitals. They are the last ones to get a room or anything else in short supply, Shameful.the attitude seems to be “ you have lived long enough”. I have a family member who needs a new kidney. Her dr told her she was too old for one. She is 66. She has lived long enough.

I hope that isn’t the case and that Your sister won’t stop trying.

Esteemed Contributor

My daughter is a BSN/RN at a well known MI hospital, in the SICU department, and they have been hit hard w/flu cases.