Honored Contributor

Re: Flu Rampant, No Beds Available At Hospital.

Same story here in southern WV.  

Hospital census is staying high; started ramping up after Thanksgiving, even worse after Christmas.   

Starting to affect nursing staff now, so all areas are working short.   I absolutely do not miss hearing all the daily drama of staffing.  

Strep is also being diagnosed in high numbers right now, along with A and B flu.   

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 That's a terrible situation at the hospital.  I agree with you...better your sister stays isolated from the floor with all the flu.  

I said a prayer for her that she gets better quickly and can go home soon.

Respected Contributor

A 13 year old girl died from the flu within 6 days of getting it. It is so sad.

I am trying to stay away from people
Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  You don't mention where your sister iives.  As far as I know, the Chicago area is fine.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

Even people who got the vaccine, are getting the flu in the NY Metropolitan area.

Honored Contributor

@stellabystarlight wrote:

Even people who got the vaccine, are getting the flu in the NY Metropolitan area.

@stellabystarlight 

my 79 year old mother got the vaccine and she got the flu. she was tested and prescribed medicine, but the symptoms and the weakness lasted for over a month.  thankfully she has fully recovered. it did take her four days to get in to see her primary care physician.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@stellabystarlight wrote:

The vaccine isn't 100% effective. And there are some not covered by the vaccine. 

Valued Contributor

Our High school had over 600 students absent due to the flu,the tummy bug and a virus that's going around. The news reported the story. It is rampant in Pa. My son had the flu last week along with my sisters whole family. It was strain B which isn't as potent as strain A. Tamiflu really helped them feel better in a few days. I read that the B strain had arrived in Pa in mid January which is a little earlier than usual. Keep washing those hands and be careful!  

Honored Contributor

@embgm   It sounds like you live in the CV school district.  my granddaughter goes to HS  there and she was sick yesterday, but hasn't missed any school yet...tummy bug.

Thankfully, No one in my family has ever gotten the flu..ever ( fingers crossed)

Respected Contributor

In my daughter's family of 5, she is the only one to get the flu and the only one not to get the vaccine.

CDC says you can still get a flu shot.  Less than 50% get it.