Honored Contributor

Re: Flu Rampant, No Beds Available At Hospital.

A little OT, but talk about terrible timing........I DID get the flu shot, but a couple weeks ago,  one of my molars started to act up just a bit, and my dentist informed me that although the tooth has been stable for years, my immune system has most likely taken a bit of a dip and the doggone tooth needs root canal treatment again, and may not be salvageable at that!

Could it be that I'm not getting enough sleep, DO YUH THINK?

Just mentioning this because we all have to be aware that ALL OF US can encounter unexpected vulnerabilities during flu seasons. TAKE THE BEST CARE OF YOURSELF YOU CAN!!!!!

Honored Contributor

There are a few schools closed down for a few weeks around the Memphis, TN area because of the flu.

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you all for the good wishes for my sister.  She lives in central PA.  

For her to go to the ER she had to be really bad.  They think she has a bleeding ulcer.  Her blood volumn was very low.  They gave her 2 units of bood immediately. Waiting to scope her due to her congestive heart failure.  They are trying to get the fluid off her to do the procedure.

Honored Contributor

Blame it on people who refuse to get flu shots.  The flu shots aren't 100%, they say around 50% this year , my little niece did indeed get her flu shot in September.  She did get the flu a few weeks about but because had the shot, she was sick for just 3 days and her symptoms were mild.  That's the value of the flu shot, even if you contract the flu, it will be much milder, you don't get very sick. You don't up hospitalized. It's so odd, everyone's ranting about the Wuhan Coronovirus but it's the flu that is running rampant.    

Valued Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@embgm   It sounds like you live in the CV school district.  my granddaughter goes to HS  there and she was sick yesterday, but hasn't missed any school yet...tummy bug.

Thankfully, No one in my family has ever gotten the flu..ever ( fingers crossed)

.        I do!

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@stellabystarlight wrote:

Even people who got the vaccine, are getting the flu in the NY Metropolitan area.

@stellabystarlight 

my 79 year old mother got the vaccine and she got the flu. she was tested and prescribed medicine, but the symptoms and the weakness lasted for over a month.  thankfully she has fully recovered. it did take her four days to get in to see her primary care physician.

A relative of mine also got the shot and still got the flu.  She too was tested and prescribed meds.   

Honored Contributor

It seems like every morning on the news I see schools closed due to illness.  Yesterday an entire school system was closed so they could clean every school and bus in the system because so many have been ill.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a friend who was taken to the ER last Friday by her husband at her dr’s request...they are still waiting in the ER for a room upstairs because her dr wants to admit her for liver disease problems. They have her in a large room with several patients with only a curtain between each person.  No way to treat a sick person. I wonder how many in that big room have the flu? She thought about going home but she needs an IV and is very sick. Her poor husband has had to miss three days of work so far. Her daughter is flying in today from SC so maybe she can shake things up.

Esteemed Contributor

I was in the ER last winter many times and almost every visit there was someone next door with suspected flu.  My ER at least tries to put suspected cases into a room, not in the hall.  All the elderly patients were in the hall as I recall.  

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Best wishes for a speedy recovery and good health for your sister.... 

I heard a doctor say on the news that instead of the Coronavirus people in the U.S. should be concerned about the regular flu virus ......so far for the 2019-2020 season 10,000 people have died and 180,000 have been hospitlized and February is the peak month for the flu...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”