Super Contributor

can anyone recommend a nice, affordable, 55 plus community on the west coast?? One with many activities, not too far from the beach, and in a good neighborhood. 

Does such a community exist??

Valued Contributor

There's no such thing as "affordable" in California-especially near the beach.  You'll pay dearly..

Esteemed Contributor

This reader is looking for a place in Florida.

Trusted Contributor

We have a few in Ft. Myers.  Mostly golf communities.   Do you play golf?

Respected Contributor

On the west coast check out the Sarasota area.

Honored Contributor

Re: Florida 55 plus

[ Edited ]

I live in a suburb of Sarasota and the only place I know of that has a lot of activities is the Villiages and they are far from the beach.  However, if you google Del Web communities you have a good chance of finding places with actiivities. There is a plan to build big time in an area in North port, sarasota County called The West villiages  you may want to look into but I don't know what the prices may be like  - I do know that taxes in that area are very high.A friend of ours was telling us the taxes on his villa there were over $3000 last year - as opposed to our villa - same sq ft - in a different area were less than half that. I can tell you that places like Sun City , SC where there are a lot of activities the HOA fees are generally very high, and you don't get much for it.So you have to look at all that. Cost, taxes and HOA fees and location.

Trusted Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I live in a suburb of Sarasota and the only place I know of that has a lot of activities is the Villiages and they are far from the beach.  However, if you google Del Web communities you have a good chance of finding places with actiivities. There is a plan to build big time in an area in North port, sarasota County called The West villiages  you may want to look into but I don't know what the prices may be like  - I do know that taxes in that area are very high.A friend of ours was telling us the taxes on his villa there were over $3000 last year - as opposed to our villa - same sq ft - in a different area were less than half that. I can tell you that places like Sun City , SC where there are a lot of activities the HOA fees are generally very high, and you don't get much for it.So you have to look at all that. Cost, taxes and HOA fees and location.

My parents did an exhaustive search in Florida and ended up at The Villages which they LOVE!  Here's a link to their web site...

https://www.thevillages.com/AboutUs/aboutus.htm

Honored Contributor

@151949I know you are a snowbird (as I am), but I have no idea where your permanent address is.  I do know this.   When I began spending more time in Florida than in the North, I became a Florida resident- that made a huge difference in my property taxes -   same condo I've always been in, but far different taxes.

I point that out because it's very important for people buying in Florida -  or really any new area -  to know how the taxes work.  Florida taxes on identical properties are NOT identical -   at one time when RE prices skyrocketed, and I was still a NY owner, my taxes here were more than twice those of my next-door neighbor! -  within a few dollars of the taxes on my more expensive LI house.

As for OP's quest -  I can't help really because I'm on the East Coast -although I can say that around here most of the active 55+ communities cost more to buy and to live in than do other similar housing in different communities for the most part.

Super Contributor

Thank so much, ladies. I'll google del Webb.

Honored Contributor

@Pianomama wrote:

There's no such thing as "affordable" in California-especially near the beach.  You'll pay dearly..

@chihuahuamom

I also thought she meant Cali, when she said "west coast", LOL!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.