Honored Contributor

Just saw a floral commercial...'Telefloral', if I remember correctly.

Made me think, where are all the floral commercials this year?

Years past, it seemed Jim McCann & 1800-FLOWERS was encroaching our TV time several times an hour.   Today...nothing.

Is the floral industry on the downslide?

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom

I was astounded when the local florist that I used for my wedding and various significant funerals closed this past summer.

I still subscribe to sending flowers - I may be alone in that though.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Re: Floral Commercials

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

Just saw a floral commercial...'Telefloral', if I remember correctly.

Made me think, where are all the floral commercials this year?

Years past, it seemed Jim McCann & 1800-FLOWERS was encroaching our TV time several times an hour.   Today...nothing.

Is the floral industry on the downslide?

I think there have been instances where the flowers ordered in this manner didn't arrive looking like the ones in the photos. 1800 trouble. Cat Surprised

Honored Contributor

@Pqfan

You have a point.  I ordered from 1-800-flowers one time for Boss' Day.  Wow, talk about being disappointed.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

Re: Floral Commercials

[ Edited ]

Many family owned florists have closed in our area.  A friend told me people do not always care about quality, rather only the price.  She couldn't compete with grocery stores, mart stores and club warehouse stores.  Of course there's the internet too.

Honored Contributor

Come to think of it, I haven't seen any commercials for the season.

I've had five floral deliveries in the last six months and they've all been beautiful.  They were delivered by local florists.

Respected Contributor

I too ordered from 1800 flowers once for Mother's Day and what a sad looking mess they delivered to my mom 😠

Honored Contributor

I will only order from local florists, as I have seen so many people disappointed by going online or the 800 choices. 

I like to support local business whenever I can, and we still have a number of local florists in our area that do a really nice job.

I have always wanted a nice fresh pine and candle with a hurricane in the middle kind of centerpiece for my dining table during the season, but have never done it because it just seems I don't have the money during December. One of these years, though, I'm going in and get one!

Esteemed Contributor

Alot of funerals don't have flowers because the bereaved would rather have donations to Hospice or another charity 'in lieu of flowers'.....

Funerals and weddings would help the florist make money when there isn't a Holiday. People don't sent flowers too much anymore for Birthdays, new babys..etc

I worked for a Wholesale floral company in sales before I retired.

Esteemed Contributor

I used pro-flowers for ages until I saw the ones I sent my mother in law and was not impressed.  Not cheap for a bunch of flowers in a box.