Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Fishermen Save Kittens Swimming Toward Them In River

So glad to see this.  It warms my heart!  

Two years ago my friend and I were trailriding when we heard a kitten's meow.  The field we were passing was quite high with corn stalks as it was the beginning of fall/end of summer.  All at once we saw a tiny kitten catapult up above the stalks, meow and then disappear.  It happened again and again as she made her way to us.  She was a demanding little thing.  Finally she made it out of the field and ran down the hill and right up to us, meowing the whole time.  We stopped and were just shocked to see her determination.  She was probably about 8 weeks old at the time.

My friend got off, picked her up and stuffed her inside her sweatshirt and rode like that all the way home.  The darn thing wiggled like crazy.  Once we got back and put our horses away, we drove back to check but never found any more kittens.  My friend kept this little kitten and she's all grown now. Smiley Very Happy  She's still quite tiny and really so cute.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

AliJoi5 wrote:

@Topaz Gem  My kitty was dumped, along with 5 of her brothers and sisters, in my neighborhood.  I could not conceive at the time (I was 8 y/o) that someone would do something like that.  But even though that was a despicable thing to do, at least all of the kittens were taken in to good homes... not left in some swamp to starve or be a gator's lunch (if they were, in fact, dumped).  This is Mittens at 20 years old right before we lost her.  I miss my little orphan!  Glad to see a happy ending to that story.

photo DSC00058.jpg

Your Mittens was such a beautiful girl. I named the very first cat that I ever had Mittens. I received him from my mom and dad for my 5th birthday and have always had a cat in my life ever since. I'm currently "Mommy" to five kittehs...Tabitha (13),Samantha (12),Olivia (3),Henry (11) and Jack (8)....and I rescued all of them...at different times of course! Each one of them had been dumped/abandoned. 

------------------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^=

Valued Contributor

Aww thank you @beastielove!  I think it's wonderful that you rescued all 5 of your furbabies.  Lots of kitty love to go around in your home!  Cat Happy

Respected Contributor

That is the sweetest darn thing I have ever seen.  Bless those lovely kind men who took time away from their fishing trip to rescue those adorable babies.  They were definitely kittens that had grown up with people because they were so friendly.  Can't imagine how anyone could be mean enough to dump those two babies out in the middle of nowhere.  Likelihood was that they would starve and die.  Their spirit drove them to jump in and swim to that boat rather than give up and die.  So glad to know that they have been adopted.

Seeing these acts of kindness makes my day so much better.  Hope we will all find it in ourselves to do something like this if we have the opportunity.

Have a great Wednesday!

“Do not think only of your own joy, but vow to save all beings from suffering.”
Dalai Lama
Honored Contributor

@AliJoi5 wrote:

@Topaz Gem  My kitty was dumped, along with 5 of her brothers and sisters, in my neighborhood.  I could not conceive at the time (I was 8 y/o) that someone would do something like that.  But even though that was a despicable thing to do, at least all of the kittens were taken in to good homes... not left in some swamp to starve or be a gator's lunch (if they were, in fact, dumped).  This is Mittens at 20 years old right before we lost her.  I miss my little orphan!  Glad to see a happy ending to that story.

photo DSC00058.jpg

Ali - what a beautiful kitty! So glad she found a safe and happy home! One of ours was also dumped in the woods. He was near death when DD found him on a trip with friends when she was 18. He was begging for Cheerios. He was also near death. She rode home 3 hours with him on her lap because she knew her dad would find a home for him.  When DH first saw him he throught he was an old timer. Then he got him cleaned up and found out he was about a year old. The vet tech jokingly told me she thought he'd already found his home - and he had. He came home with us! Smiley Happy

Bless these fishermen! I know some others would not have bothered. 

Valued Contributor

That is a beautiful story, beach!  *sniffle*  Any time you take an animal into your home, it is a special thing.  But there is just something about the bond you develop with a rescue or a stray that really pulls at the ole heartstrings.  Heart

Respected Contributor

@AliJoi5 wrote:

photo DSC00058.jpg

What a beautiful little girl.  She obviously had a wonderful life with you and thankfully it all worked out.  I know how much you must miss her.  I had a little girl kitty for almost 20 years and I still miss her to this day. 

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

Topaz Gem said:

What a beautiful little girl.  She obviously had a wonderful life with you and thankfully it all worked out.  I know how much you must miss her.  I had a little girl kitty for almost 20 years and I still miss her to this day. 

I did, too.  I understand how much you miss her, she was an integral part of your life.  Our girl was 19 years old.  We still miss her, I came home yesterday and called out her name by mistake instead of our new kitty. 

They are always in our heart Heart

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Trusted Contributor

I was wondering about that.  I think I heard the 2nd one plop in the water.  

So cute - and brave. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you for posting.

Sometimes so many bad things pile up that it is easy to over look the good that happens. 

A couple of ‘bacca chewin’, red-neck, good ole’ boys with BIG hearts!  Frequently what you see is not what you get, and not what you might think.

And while I DO believe that Karma eventually comes to people, I do not think it happens for the animals.  Perhaps their lives are too short and our ability to understand them is limited by our own noise.

At any rate, twice I have been present in the rescue of deer swimming across a huge lake trying to loose the scent from hunting dogs.  Again a wonderful save in what seemed to be a hopeless situation.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras