Honored Contributor

Re: Fire at QVC’s NC distribution center

I just came onto the forums to catch up and this was what leapt out at me.

It's a horrible situation for QVC and its employees.  A situation like this is so frightening.  Thank God it appears no one was hurt - although, the missing employee is a concern.  I hope there is news of that soon.

I had an uncle who was a fireman in a large city.  I simply can't imagine doing that job, but bless them all for what they do.  Where would we be without these brave men and women?

Valued Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

@Pecky wrote:

I am so glad no one was hurt.  How sad with these tragedies. I see that ShopHQ's warehouse in Bowling Green KY was hit by the tornadoes.  

KY seems to be a big return/dist hub

isn't FedX based there too

@jackthebear Fedex is headquartered in Memphis.

So sad to see all the tragedy these past few weeks. Everyday I count more of my own blessings and just say thank you. ❤️

Actually it's UPS that has a hub in KY, but it doesn't look like it was affected by any of the tornados.

Respected Contributor

Companies as large as QVC typically have loss of business insurance policies that cover payroll for displaced workers.
Esteemed Contributor

My major concern is for the poor people who have lost their jobs, as well as their families.

The timing is horrible on all counts.  Replacing inventory will also be a major problem with so much manufactured overseas and needing to be shipped here.

You cannot sell what you don’t have or can’t get.

Valued Contributor

@Othereeeen wrote:

Read that the fire was so intense it overtook the fire suppression system...

Terrifying..

ALWAYS pay attention at work when they have fire safety drills ( if they have them).

And always know where the exits are when you're shopping.

Fire is a terrible way to die...

And in a massive building such as that how would you even know which way to get out if smoke just starts billowing in!  It's not so easy as though there is door that might be 15-20 feet away that woukd be accessable under other conditions. They would have a hike to exit that huge building.  This could have been a tragedy.  But I did hear on a national news cast that there is a report of 1 person missing & is being investigated.  Hoping it is someone who has not checked in with family and not a true tragedy.

Honored Contributor

I just watched the press conference from earlier today. 

The first call came in at 2:06 AM. The first responder from the first unit on the scene said he decided immediately they weren't going in.  And then other units came from neighboring towns and counties to assist.

A family said that they had not heard from a family member who was working at the time.  I believe 300 people were working at the time the first started. 

No info on possible causes. They did watch to make sure that embers didn't set off any woods fires.  They did put out one woods fire that spread over around 2 acres.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Regular Contributor

Thank you for that information.
I was thinking of the environmental costs and the wildlife habitats .
Esteemed Contributor

Patience is the key word for those who are concerned about pending orders and returns. QVC's leadership has three distinct crisis to deal with in this matter: the fate of warehouse employees; the building and whatever contingency they have in place for an alternate warehouse to Rocky Mount and the incredible task of replenishing the inventory; and the customers. I expect that each customer that is identified as having an order pending shipment, or a return scanned as being enroute to or in Rocky Mount will be contacted individually regarding your order as soon as they are able to tell you something.
Respected Contributor

A lot of the items they've been selling, they stress that they actually have the item in stock, so you aren't waiting for it to arrive from overseas.  I wonder how much of those items would've been in that warehouse?  An awful thing to happen anytime, but especially a week before Christmas...

Regular Contributor

Sadly, I saw online there is one employee unaccounted for. Hoping for the best.