Honored Contributor

Do you have a tip for repairing an item? 

I have  one if your door sticks and is hard to shut .We have had a lot of rain and our front door swelled a tiny bit, making it a bit hard to shut

Mr Cherry planed  a small spot on the door, but said it was dragging on the metal strip underneath, and we might have to call a carpenter

I suggested he try rubbing bees wax on the metal plate. I have never seen anything work so quickly. The door shuts so easy now

This might not work for everyone, but if you have a bit of wax,  and a  door that  is hard to shut ,it is worth a try

Esteemed Contributor

If you don't have bees wax, bar soap works, also.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

If you don't have bees wax, bar soap works, also.

You can take that same bar of soap and glide it across your closet rods to make your hanging clothes slide across a lot easier. 

Honored Contributor

Every once in a while the shower curtain hooks will start to drag across the rod. 

I spray a rag with Pledge and give the rod a wipe.

Esteemed Contributor

Beeswax, any candle wax or bar soap is a quick fix for "sticky" drawers when rubbed along the sides.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

Wax also works on zippers that won't pull.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I keep a can of spray silicone handy.

Helps if you need to loosen a nut or screw plus all the reasons above.

Also I sometimes give my house key a little spray.   Slips in & out of the lock like butta!

Or you can directly spray it into the lock.

Spray it on noisy, creaky hinges

If you have to fight to get off your car's gas cap, give it a shot

The stuff is like the old WD-40 on steroids.

Respected Contributor

I have a wad of bees wax that was my Grandmothers. She kept it in her sewing box to run the thread over. It makes the tip just a tad stiffer and sharper so you can thread it through the needle eye.  Tradition dictates I run my thread thuough the same groove she started all those years ago. 

I keep a candle stub handy too for all the good uses afore mentioned.  Rubbing your key over the candle wax works for a sticky lock too.

If you have a metal snow shovel rub that candle stub over it. the wax helps the snow to release.  Although that silicone spray is probably a better fix!

Honored Contributor

A good ,and fast ,way to pick up a pile of leaves, is with your snow shovel

Respected Contributor

@cherry  What a neat post.  I hope lots of posters will share their easy fixes.

If you have a writing pen that has plenty of ink, but the ink is dry and won't come out, put the tip of the pen to a flame, and it will burn off the old ink and the pen will work again. 

Another one that many probably already know, use some vegetable oil to loosen those super adhesive price stickers that won't seem to come off.  Of course, just make sure you won't damage the item by using oil.  

Here is one that my sister told me.  Sounds strange, but it works.  

If you are out and about town and it's really humid and need a make-up/oil blotter for your face and to blot sweat off your arms, face, neck, etc..., the thin paper toilet seat covers work really well.  Sounds awful, but actually works.  

......You look like I need a drink.....