Honored Contributor

I remember slide projectors and the carousel would sometimes get stuck.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@LTT1-

What a lovely thing to say-thank you-I guess I never haveHeart-Christmas has always been my favorite time of year.

I never heard of the movie projectors growing up and only saw them on tv.

But my father did have a wire recorder, that they recorded their hoedowns on-it was a big music family and my grandmother could play anything by ear; my aunt was in the opera,and my other aunt sang in the choir. and one day they all got together and had a "hoedown", with some other neighbors and friends. My father got it on tape later and made copies and I gave them to a lot of family members.

My mother had those "78" records and we played them a lot-lots of musicals-Gigi, My Fair Lady, Carousel, Music Man,Peter and the Wolf, Danny Kaye's-Don't Drink the Water-(very funny).

What a lovely thread sharing these ideas!Thank you!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@on the bay

What a great thing to have that very special family event for everyone to enjoy! 

My own family was not much for card games or board games, but the few times we did this together created so many memories for each of us!

I think the part of today’s world that is missing to create a warm sense of family is that of “shared experience.”

When our DD was in high school, it never occurred to me to stop the pace and share game-playing or movies, etc. 

When did life start to move so fast? As the mom, I should have been more aware of family traditions!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Family Times

[ Edited ]

My Dad always took movies, 8mm, then videos.  In fact a huge amount of photos, my Dad has a camera on his shoulder.  (Dad also volunteered for our town's cable station. He was "Man About Town" and did interviews etc)

I took a few of the VHS tapes and transferred to DVDs. Most is still on the reels or VHS. Mom still has the projector, screen, tripods and some cameras.

Movie night was so fun.  Dad would run parts of it backwards for a laugh.  He'd pause a side view of Mom very pregnant with twins.

Honored Contributor

Hi @LTT1-

Well you know, it was really my daughters and son who started and liked all the board and card games, esp card games like Balderdash, ever since they were middle school age.

I pretty much only liked monopoly cause I always won lol!Woman LOL

Most of the time we were laughing so much with all the silly answers.

For my youngest' birthday this year, she wanted to get together to play card games.

And this Christmas, we all decided to give something that everyone could enjoy, so she is bringing a card game, and I'm bringing ginger bread making houses, and my sil is bringing a puzzle (I said we'd need wine for that one!) but we'll do that one while watching Christmas movies or snacks and stuff,and we'll see what the others come up with.

I like this idea cause people can use their creativity and we don't have to think of something for each person and its not expensive and we'll spend time together enjoying things together.

Except for that first grandchild-we'll try but probably no holds barred for presents but my daughter wants him to feel its all about being together, not tons of gifts. (grandma here, -moi will try not to be a bad influence!Woman LOL)

And for all of us, traditions have changed over the years due to moves, marriages, etc. and at first I always wanted Christmas just like it always was at my mother's house but I've learned to embrace and look forward to new traditions, and that change in attitude has helped me look at change as an exciting surprise rather than a sadness.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"