Honored Contributor

Re: Facebook Question

[ Edited ]

@Krimpette,  Facebook keeps their specific algorithms, for just about everything, fairly nebulous so I don't think any of us know exactly what all the factors are.  This is what their help section has to say:

"Where do People You May Know suggestions come from?

People You May Know can help people find friends on Facebook.  People You May Know suggestions come from things like:

• Having friends in common, or mutual friends.  This is the most common reason for suggestions
  • Being in the same Facebook group or being tagged in the same photo
  • Your networks (example: your school, university or work)
To add someone as a friend from People You May Know, you can send them a friend request.

source:

I'm seeing people I don't know suggested as People You May Know.

"We constantly update People You May Know to provide better suggestions.   However, sometimes we might get it wrong and recommend someone who you don't know or don't want to add as a friend.

Most friend suggestions are based on having friends in common.  If you see a suggestion with no mutual friends, keep in mind that some people have their friends list set to private.  This means that some suggestions who are friends of friends may not show the friends you have in common.

Remove a suggestion

If you see people you don’t want to be friends with, tap Remove next to their name. Removing unhelpful suggestions helps us give you better People You May Know suggestions.

Note:  If you don't want to show up in someone else's People You May Know suggestions, you can block them.  Blocking someone also permanently hides them from your People You May Know suggestions."

source:

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova