Honored Contributor

Facebook Question

[ Edited ]

I am only an occasional Facebook user...just like to see pictures of extended family.  However, whenever I click on "friend requests".I get bombarded with a list of "people you may know".  Question:  Do those "people" go away?  Or do I have to keep deleting them?  Anyone know how they get there to begin with?  Several are foreign sometimes.  I understand the list of "people..." for those on my "friends" list.  I just don't understand the extraneous ones.  (There were 75 today).  Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Honored Contributor

Near as I can tell, on my list anyway, the “people you may know” list apppears to be people that are friends with my friends.  

There should be two buttons below each name.  One says “add friend” and the other is “remove”.  If you click “remove” that name disappears.  I think you have to do that for each name.  Now, whether the list rotates to different people or the same ones come back, I don’t know.

Respected Contributor

These names pop up often because they may be  friends of your friends. Or Facebook has tracked them to your area. I totally ignore those. Just scroll past them. 

Honored Contributor

I never have that ,why click on it?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@Tricolor Do they go away? (drop off?). I've been "removing" them, but it's a pain to do that 75 times a couple of times a week.

Respected Contributor

I am not sure why you are getting so many. Usually I only see a handful when I am on Facebook. One thing I do is to adjust my settings so that only my friends can see what I post. There is the option of letting your friends friends see what you post but I don't allow that on my settings. Maybe that's why you are getting so many names popping up. Not sure just taking a guess. Check your settings and make sure that you are as secure as possible.

Honored Contributor

If you have your location listed it could be people in your same location or area, or some common interest too.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

@Tricolor Do they go away? (drop off?). I've been "removing" them, but it's a pain to do that 75 times a couple of times a week.

@Krimpette- just ignore them. They’re just suggestions for you. You don’t need to do anything with them. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh Thank you!

Respected Contributor

To be receiving so many friends requests, I am thinking that you must have your Facebook settings on public instead of private.  I do have a Facebook account, but I am very careful about my privacy settings, and the posts that I click "like" for.  If you click like  on a public post your name is out there for everyone to see. 

I wish I could help you, but my daughter set my account up and it's private and I am careful about even a friends post that I might like to not click on them.