Honored Contributor

Big Pharma is going to be under the klieg lights for their criminal behavior regarding drugs and their unconscionable actions over the years, including deliberately not researching cures, but consistently promoting and marketing "treatments" that do nothing but put sick people in danger of often lethal side effects, while lining their already bloated pockets.  Hopefully we will begin to see the end of every other commercial we see being drugs pushed by these greedy pharmaceutical cabals.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

I won't hold my breath. I believe they already know a cure for different cancers but won't manufacture because there is more money the other route. They should not be allowed to have ads on TV.

Honored Contributor

I really HOPE so. I honestly thought nothing was going to stop them after they determined that Sovaldi and Harvoni would cure Hep C but a course of treatment would cost upwards of $84,000 (Sovaldi) or $100,000 (Harvoni ). (Source: http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-agenda-specialty-drugs-20150921-story.html)

I've been using Advair 500/50 for nearly 20 years now and it's still $300 per discus. The maker fought for years and actually got the drug patent rules changed to extend their patent, but eventually it was eligible to become a generic 2010. But it STILL isn't available as a generic because the patent on the diskus delivery system is in place until 2016. Thankfully, my insurance covers it and I don't pay anywhere near $300 per diskus, but that's a part of the problem. Prices are artificially inflated so that the percentage paid by the insurance companies still makes the drug companies a profit. Which leaves people with poor or no insurance in dire straits when they can't afford the medication they need to keep them alive. Advair keeps me breathing. If I have to pay $300 a month for it, the drug company's $20 off coupon is more slap in the face than it is an actual help.

Honored Contributor

When did it supposedly become okay to advertise DRUGS on television.  Nothing like promoting illnesses and diseases to talk the human public right into HAVING these problems just to seek out a doctor who we can apparently talk right into writing out scripts for these drugs.  What a racket these pharmceutical companies have with many of our MDs.  We many of us seem to buy right into these tv ads.  We're popping pills just because every little ache & pain we think we have just because we see these ads on tv.  And then jack up the price 200% to share the joy of $$$$$$$$$$$$$

between the pharms & the drs. 

What a disgusting way to play the public.  I thought the doctors were supposed to be on our side.

Respected Contributor

I am skepitcal. When the pockets of certain ones are lined by them it will remain as it is.

Respected Contributor

Let's wait and see the results.  Big pharma is just that and they always get what they want even with government looking over their shoulder. They don't care about cures, healthy people don't make them money.

Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

I won't hold my breath. I believe they already know a cure for different cancers but won't manufacture because there is more money the other route. They should not be allowed to have ads on TV.

Exactly!!!  I also will not contribute to any organization when they come calling for $.

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Esteemed Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

I really HOPE so. I honestly thought nothing was going to stop them after they determined that Sovaldi and Harvoni would cure Hep C but a course of treatment would cost upwards of $84,000 (Sovaldi) or $100,000 (Harvoni ). (Source: http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-agenda-specialty-drugs-20150921-story.html)

I've been using Advair 500/50 for nearly 20 years now and it's still $300 per discus. The maker fought for years and actually got the drug patent rules changed to extend their patent, but eventually it was eligible to become a generic 2010. But it STILL isn't available as a generic because the patent on the diskus delivery system is in place until 2016. Thankfully, my insurance covers it and I don't pay anywhere near $300 per diskus, but that's a part of the problem. Prices are artificially inflated so that the percentage paid by the insurance companies still makes the drug companies a profit. Which leaves people with poor or no insurance in dire straits when they can't afford the medication they need to keep them alive. Advair keeps me breathing. If I have to pay $300 a month for it, the drug company's $20 off coupon is more slap in the face than it is an actual help.

@ChynnaBlue

I hear you!  I use Advair 250/50 and my cost is a total of $50 for a three-month supply (3 diskus) through my insurance coverage.   Without insurance they would cost $750 for the same three months.

Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

When did it supposedly become okay to advertise DRUGS on television.  Nothing like promoting illnesses and diseases to talk the human public right into HAVING these problems just to seek out a doctor who we can apparently talk right into writing out scripts for these drugs.  What a racket these pharmceutical companies have with many of our MDs.  We many of us seem to buy right into these tv ads.  We're popping pills just because every little ache & pain we think we have just because we see these ads on tv.  And then jack up the price 200% to share the joy of $$$$$$$$$$$$$

between the pharms & the drs. 

What a disgusting way to play the public.  I thought the doctors were supposed to be on our side.

In 1997. (Source: http://jnci.oxfordjournals.org/content/94/5/329.long)

Several bills have been written to try to stop the practice since then,  but none of them got very far.

Honored Contributor

Google "pharmaceutical companies under fire" for many articles.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986