Trusted Contributor

I am a teacher so I am well aquainted with these.  Did this woman actually say "take them in the board room with you "?  They light up.  Oh, my.  I can just picture the meeting now.

Esteemed Contributor

Dumb comment!  I sure hope this world is not comming to that!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I think of that squeeze stress ball that used to be around years ago...same idea???  Have been reading of kids ending up in ER rooms..chocking pieces!!  There is always that one kid that tries to do something weird with an item....

Respected Contributor

I hear some schools have banned them. 

Trusted Contributor

When I was in Europe many years ago, they sold “worry beads”.  Nearly every tourist had to go home with some worry beads.  Some used them to count prayers like a rosary – even though worry beads are not a religious item.  Most used them as a fidget device.  I guess this type of device has been around for a very long time.  Only the name & shape change with each reinvention.  Too bad we can’t just get rid of the cause behind all the fidgeting.  I guess that would not be good for business.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Trusted Contributor

Yes, Cumbercookie13. They have become a big problem at our school.

Respected Contributor

I had never seen one in person until a couple of days ago. They are kind of neat, especially the ones with lights. I can see how they might be relaxing.

Honored Contributor

What problems do these cause in schools? They look pretty harmless.

Valued Contributor

And to add to the craziness of this toy.  A child chocked

on one of the pieces.  Incredible, someone  making a fortune on this disgusting toy.

@kjae

Valued Contributor

The problem with these is that they DON'T help with focus on any task other than playing with the fidget spinner.  Kids have to look at them in order to use them or, if they are adept enough at spinning them without looking, they are attracted to watching them spin so they do.  Then they HAVE TO show other kids what they are doing and it distracts those other kids.  Kids then begin to try tricks with them because just spinning them becomes ho-hum.  Neurologically, these spinners overstimulate parts of the brain in the same way things like many video games do.  This causes the brain to grow accustomed to that stimulation and it then requires even more in order to get the same buzz.

True fidgets that allow kids to focus are tactile, not visual, and are difficult to do any tricks with.  Things like koosh balls or puddy allow the child to fidget and get that tactile stimulation without overstimulating them.  True fidgets allow students to move mindlessly while focusing on another task.