Honored Contributor
"liquid knit" is polyester....it does not "breathe"at all...to me, it is like wearing Saran Wrap when you wear it in warm weather...very uncomfortable in hot Texas summers.... I like cotton....it breathes and is much more comfortable; even poly/cotton is hot when our temps go up...rayon is much easier for me to wear, but I don't think QVC sells much of it.
Honored Contributor

@katiemichelle wrote:

I don't understand this latest surge in polyester.  It is the worst "fabric" to wear!  I live in Arizona and will not purchase or wear it.  I only buy 100% cotton!!

@katiemichelle

In one of the financial newspapers they mentioned some sort of a "cotton crisis"  so I guess the manufacturers are turning to man-made/synthetic fabrics instead........This also helps to keep the price down.........

Market Data by Cotton Inc. May 2018

"Challenges today facing the world's largest cotton producing countries --repeated pest attacks in India, rising production costs in China, and recurring weather-related issues in the U.S. and Australia."

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

@katiemichelle wrote:

I don't understand this latest surge in polyester.  It is the worst "fabric" to wear!  I live in Arizona and will not purchase or wear it.  I only buy 100% cotton!!

Not everybody lives in Arizona.

@Blingqueen023

Not everyone lives "up north" or in the "northeast" either....

These fabrics don't do well not only in Arizona---but  also in the entire region of SOUTHERN STATES where it gets hot, then there's also Texas, and the Western States-New Mexico, Nevada, and even some parts of Southern California too...........

I agree with @katiemichelle  the MAJORITY of customers located in hot climates don't like to wear polyester.....And I hear many of the vendors say that QVC customers are asking for more cotton and natural fibers....especially on the D&C and Cuddl Duds shows.......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

I live in hot, humid South Carolina...and work in hot, humid Georgia (we also have some cold weather in the winter, though admittedly not nearly as bad as those in the Northern/Midwestern states). I wear polyester year round and don't find it hot or cold at all---because I spend most of my time in climate controlled environments! We have AC in the summer, heat in the winter! Several of my poly tops are Susan Graver, as well as other brands. They're great for work because they wash well, don't fade, don't wrinkle and last a very long time...so price per wearing is pretty reasonable. I do get that if you spend a lot of time outdoors, poly might be hot.

Every 100% cotton top I've ever bought has become faded and misshapen after a few washes, no matter what I paid for it. I much prefer a cotton/poly or cotton/spandex blend for shape and color retention. I also agree with the poster who said that cotton takes forever to dry if you sweat in it. That's why so much workout wear is made with "wicking" polyester fabrics...it dries quickly.

Honored Contributor

@vermint wrote:

I live in hot, humid South Carolina...and work in hot, humid Georgia (we also have some cold weather in the winter, though admittedly not nearly as bad as those in the Northern/Midwestern states). I wear polyester year round and don't find it hot or cold at all---because I spend most of my time in climate controlled environments! We have AC in the summer, heat in the winter! Several of my poly tops are Susan Graver, as well as other brands. They're great for work because they wash well, don't fade, don't wrinkle and last a very long time...so price per wearing is pretty reasonable. I do get that if you spend a lot of time outdoors, poly might be hot.

Every 100% cotton top I've ever bought has become faded and misshapen after a few washes, no matter what I paid for it. I much prefer a cotton/poly or cotton/spandex blend for shape and color retention. I also agree with the poster who said that cotton takes forever to dry if you sweat in it. That's why so much workout wear is made with "wicking" polyester fabrics...it dries quickly.

@vermint

I dont know about your area of the country, but here in Texas office buildings are under constant pressure by Energy Companies to conserve energy to prevent brown outs and peak energy capacities in the summer, so they keep thermostats set at 78-80 degrees---if you have computers and other office equipment that produce heat and then if you sit near windows it is quite warm in most office buildings here...People are even bringing in battery operated fans to try to stay cool, but some offices dont allow this...So even with A/C it can be quite WARM in the offices, so poly clothes just doesnt work!!! --The A/C is not COLD!

Now I agree that a little bit of poly is OK, but not more than 5%, this helps cotton keep its shape so it doesn't stretch out, fade, and can handle perspiration (and if people sweat that much in cotton so it deoesnt dry-honey those folks have some sort of a medical issue).But a 95% cotton/5% poly combo still helps to keep people cool and comfortable better than 95% poly/5% spandex clothes! 

Honored Contributor

@vermint wrote:

i totally agree with your statements @vermint.

i NEVER buy 100% cotton anymore......it fades, it wrinkles, and becomes mishapen to quickly. if i am buying cotton it is always in a friendlier blend.

i wear polyester items all year long also. in the maryland and delware area we have lots of heat and humidity during the spring and summer months.....and into the fall. we have already hit 90 degrees several times this year and it is not even summer yet.

i find them to be more comfortable, wear better, and retain their colors much better. i am almost always HOT and it does have great wicking features. think about what runners and other athletes wear......i dont think many are wearing cotton. under armour is a good example.

when i am on the beach i am in a poly bathing suit.

i dont know about other areas, but the buildings, restaurants, drs offices, malls are quite "chilly" during the summer months. i wont spend a lot of time outdoors in really hot weather generally unless i am on the beach or by the pool.

my favorites are rayon/spandex, cotton/spandex, and poly/spandex.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@Spurt Thankfully, we are not under the same pressure...though we do try to keep things at a reasonable temp without freezing or baking anyone! Helps keep the power bills down, ya know!

It's different in different places, I know. I just get tired of people dissing poly (or cotton or whatever) in a way that seems like they think that because THEY don't like it, no one should like it--or sell it! There's enough choices for everyone to have what they want.

Respected Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@vermint wrote:

@vermint

I dont know about your area of the country, but here in Texas office buildings are under constant pressure by Energy Companies to conserve energy to prevent brown outs and peak energy capacities in the summer, so they keep thermostats set at 78-80 degrees---if you have computers and other office equipment that produce heat and then if you sit near windows it is quite warm in most office buildings here...People are even bringing in battery operated fans to try to stay cool, but some offices dont allow this...So even with A/C it can be quite WARM in the offices, so poly clothes just doesnt work!!! --The A/C is not COLD!

Now I agree that a little bit of poly is OK, but not more than 5%, this helps cotton keep its shape so it doesn't stretch out, fade, and can handle perspiration (and if people sweat that much in cotton so it deoesnt dry-honey those folks have some sort of a medical issue).But a 95% cotton/5% poly combo still helps to keep people cool and comfortable better than 95% poly/5% spandex clothes! 

I live in a climate that generally has some of the highest temps in the country. I also don't run hot like so many post menopausal women here. the AC in buildings is cold. A poly blend doesn't bother me at all.

Your jab at my comment about cotton not drying is low. If you are active outside in 100+ degrees you are going to sweat.  You can't be unaware that cotton doesn't dry quickly. 

...or maybe you are.🤔

Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@vermint wrote:

@vermint

I live in a climate that generally has some of the highest temps in the country. I also don't run hot like so many post menopausal women here. the AC in buildings is cold. A poly blend doesn't bother me at all.

Your jab at my comment about cotton not drying is low. If you are active outside in 100+ degrees you are going to sweat.  You can't be unaware that cotton doesn't dry quickly. 

...or maybe you are.🤔

@Ms tyrion2

Lets just call it a difference in climates-- dry hot heat in AZ vs hot humid heat in TX and agree to disagree.........

The comment just made me picture everyone wearing cotton clothes with huge sweatstains under their arms....something Ive never seen.....

I never had a problem with cotton drying even after I wash cotton garments I even air dry instead of putting my cotton tops/blouses in the dryer and they are dry and ready to wear pretty quickly.............

Regular Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
"liquid knit" is polyester....it does not "breathe"at all...to me, it is like wearing Saran Wrap when you wear it in warm weather...very uncomfortable in hot Texas summers.... I like cotton....it breathes and is much more comfortable; even poly/cotton is hot when our temps go up...rayon is much easier for me to wear, but I don't think QVC sells much of it.

Exactly lovesrecess!  This is exactly the way I feel about polyester.  It does not breathe!!  If I am in a garment that does not breathe I am extremely uncmfortable!!