Honored Contributor

Re: Equifax Hacked, Over 143M Accounts Exposed

Nicksmom wrote:

@dooBdoo This why the whole thing is so confusing!! I'm not sure what to do !! I guess all we can do is share our research & proceed with extreme caution!! The law is open to interpretation.Even expert minds don't agree. 

All I know is that this stuff didn't happen before the computer age.Yes,I know all the advantages of having computers.But I also know that cyber crime is ruining people's lives!!

You get a solid "amen" from me, @NicksmomESQ.     At this point there's no way to "unring the bell" with all our information located on websites, so I don't know what the answer is.    I am probably more confused than before (the state of confusion isn't especially unfamiliar to me though... 😉 ).   I'm glad @momtochloe brought this to everyone's attention, and I'm sure everyone will do what's best for them.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

I saw this on the NBC Nightly News.  I have tried several times since 7:00 to see if I was affected, and it doesn't tell me.  I read that if you don't get an answer to keep trying.  I really don't understand why they waited so long to let people know about this.

Executives after the data breach, sold off their stocks in the company! Woman Sad

From the Washington Post article:

Bloomberg News reported Thursday evening that three company executives — Chief Financial Officer John W. Gamble; Joseph M. Loughran III, the president of U.S. information solutions; and Rodolfo O. Ploder, the president of workforce solutions — sold large amounts of their shares of Equifax stock totaling nearly $1.8 million in the days after the breach was discovered July 29. The Washington Post confirmed the sales based on Securities and Exchange Commission filings.

The stock trades were not part of a previous scheduled sale, federal filings show.

A company spokeswoman, Ines Gutzmer, said in an email Thursday night: “The three executives who sold a small percentage of their Equifax shares on Tuesday, August 1, and Wednesday, August 2, had no knowledge that an intrusion had occurred at the time they sold their shares.”

On Thursday, after the company disclosed the hack, Equifax shares plummeted 12 percent in after-hours trading.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Thank you so much for posting this information.  I get the best tips from these forums.  

Unfortunately, we were affected by this hack, according to the website.  Smiley Sad

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Respected Contributor

I got this message. But I did not enroll. I'm listening to dooBdoo.

EQUIFAX HACK to me.PNG

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Honored Contributor

@Goody2shoez wrote:

I got this message. But I did not enroll. I'm listening to dooBdoo.

EQUIFAX HACK to me.PNG

That's the message I got for myself, husband and daughter.  When you click the enroll button, you get a date 4 days into the future.

I'm sure that website will crash once the enrollment dates start to arrive.

Respected Contributor

Life was much simpler/better without computers.  I can certainly live without a computer, although I would miss it for some things.  

I opt to do away with computers as I'm sick of it.  We are also being tracked every moment of our lives. 

Nothing is personal anymore. 

Respected Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

I saw the report on NBC Nightly News. Really angry about it. I signed up for the complimentary one-year protection, but did not get the info telling me whether I was personally affected or not.

Hackers are extremely patient and the one year's protection will not suffice. We will have to be on top of all our accounts on a regular basis, checking them at least once a week. 

Shame on Equifax!

Exactly what I said on another thread here - Target's hack went on for years and years.  Saw this on local DC news and a consumer advocate kind of said the same thing - one year - big deal.  Said if one doesn't need a loan anytime soon he thinks it's better to just freeze your credit at all 3 bureaus and not allow any checks on your credit or allow anyone to open up accounts in your name.  

Honored Contributor

So here's a funny to start off your morning on this topic.  

I froze my credit a few years ago after BCBS Anthem got hacked.  I was successful with two online but one of the three wouldn't allow me to do it without sending in hard paper copies of all of my sensitive information.  

Needless to say I did not do that.  Trusting the USPS to deliver my personal info intact to a PO Box is not in my heart then or now especially after some of my package deliveries over the years.

I knew one was Transunion but I could not remember if the other one was Equifax or Experian that I had also locked down successfully.  This morning, I finally found who it was and guess who?  

EQUIFAX!!  

So, moral of the story, you can lock down your credit but when they get hacked, the joke is still on you.  

Can you believe it?  You really can't make this stuff up.  Smiley Frustrated

Respected Contributor

It would be great if Equifax would waive the fee for a credit security freeze. Each state charges a different fee to freeze or unfreeze your credit. In my state it's $5 for each credit bureau.

Their complimentary monitoring service is useless.

Honored Contributor

The past week or so I have been seeing commercials about your e-mail being on the dark web and you can get a free scan.  I looked at it and you could pay to have other information scanned.

I can't remember if it was them or Experian but makes one go hmmm.