Honored Contributor

Re: Equifax Hacked, Over 143M Accounts Exposed

@kcladyz wrote:

I clicked the link and it di dnot tell me if I was impacted or not. it just gave me an enrolment date

@kcladyz please read back through this thread as you will find you probably do not want to sign up on that enrollment date . . . Smiley Sad

Trusted Contributor

I received the same message----to go to a furnished site on 9/12 and that I would not receive another notice.  

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Esteemed Contributor

DH just got off the phone with his cousin who is a tax attorney for a huge firm of which he is a partner.His cousin said that the class action waiver should not prevent anyone from signing up for the free credit monitoring from Equifax.He said the class action suit waiver is meaningless. If there is one it would only net each individual a few dollars.Settlements in class action suits are relatively minor once distributed.  Those people who are badly compromised would not join a class action suit.They would file an individual lawsuit which is outside the scope of a class action suit.

Of course he said that it's understandable to be apprehensive about signing up for protection from a company that failed to protect 143 million people!! I initiated the process but not sure if I'll follow through with it.Not because of the class action waiver but because I'm not sure if I trust them. Heck I'm not sure who to trust anymore!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SaRina wrote:

@Kachina624, I entered my info under "Potential Impact" and did not get a response -- only back to enrollment. Apparently, some people are finding out if they are affected and others are not being told (if you read NBC Nightly News' FB page.)

That's my experience just now. I was given a date to return to "enroll" in their "TrustedID Premier," which has 5 products. No info at all on whether my data was compromised.

This feels like a scam.

ETA that I believe that failing to tell us if we were compromised amounts to saying we're not. I'm certainly not going back to the site to "enroll."  I predict that if this is how they're handling it, given the magnitude of the breach and the data that was exposed, the feds may step in.

That is not a political statement. My cats would have said as much.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

You can enter info on their site and they'll tell you if you are affected.  I'm not. 

I checked too. I and my husband are not affected,

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nicksmom wrote:

DH just got off the phone with his cousin who is a tax attorney for a huge firm of which he is a partner.His cousin said that the class action waiver should not prevent anyone from signing up for the free credit monitoring from Equifax.He said the class action suit waiver is meaningless. If there is one it would only net each individual a few dollars.Settlements in class action suits are relatively minor once distributed.  Those people who are badly compromised would not join a class action suit.They would file an individual lawsuit which is outside the scope of a class action suit.

Of course he said that it's understandable to be apprehensive about signing up for protection from a company that failed to protect 143 million people!! I initiated the process but not sure if I'll follow through with it.Not because of the class action waiver but because I'm not sure if I trust them. Heck I'm not sure who to trust anymore!!

Hi, @NicksmomESQ.    It's interesting seeing your post just now, because I logged back in to add an update and my information is a bit different.     I just finished talking with a close friend who's a judge in NYC (before that worked as a corporate attorney), after seeing his comments on social media about this.   He's an interesting fellow to listen to in these situations because he knows some of the background that he can't always disclose, specifically, to us until it's more public knowledge.   His feelings about the waivers and arbitration section of the terms of service are the opposite of those of your husband's cousin.    Whatever the reason, I can't imagine anyone trusting Equifax's TrustedID company for any sort of protection.    That's like asking the fox to guard the henhouse.    I hope everyone will be extremely cautious.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

i checked out the EQF site right after the Nightly News. i don't trust them . why couldnt they tell us by mail . they obviously have our address!  no way am i providing most of my SSN !!!!  

i'll wait for a letter in the mail before i do anything.  

now i need to freeze my credit which i was going to do anyway - after my credit report is pulled for a credit check which o hope is done this week.   i hope these credit reporting agencies don't have a long lead time now. i think right now it was 3 days.

Esteemed Contributor

@dooBdoo This why the whole thing is so confusing!! I'm not sure what to do !! I guess all we can do is share our research & proceed with extreme caution!! The law is open to interpretation.Even expert minds don't agree. 

All I know is that this stuff didn't happen before the computer age.Yes,I know all the advantages of having computers.But I also know that cyber crime is ruining people's lives!!

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you 

Esteemed Contributor

I got the same result