Occasional Contributor
I have rented a call from Enterprise for business the last 4 years. I have used the same debit card for payment without incident for this time period. I always received excellent customer service and great rapport with the staff. This branch went under new manager and new staff @ 1 month ago but still Enterprise. Last week, I went in for usual new 30 contract. I was informed, without previous notice, that to continue use of any debit card that I would have to go home and get a paystub, 2 utility bills and proof of address. I woulf have to be taken home by one of their drivers. One of the reps verbally read my address out loud in front of everyone. So much for customer loyalty, service or respect. I was so angry and stranded without a car. Am I unreasonable?
Honored Contributor

Re: Enterprise Car Rental

[ Edited ]

If they have all the prior records and there has never been a problem with payment, then I don't see why they would need additional documentation.

My husband has basically the same set-up with the monthly rental for his job and he just goes when the 30 days are up to renew it.  They tell him when he needs to take it for an oil change and tire rotation and every once in a while they want to make a physical inspection.  It's also an Enterprise rental.

Honored Contributor

Re: Enterprise Car Rental

[ Edited ]

It's up to the branches. It is Enterprise's suggested process for debit cards, but they do say to check with the branch, which may be stricter, more lenient, or just stick to the suggested process.

You can pay for the car rental when you turn the car in with a debit card, no problem. They just don't accept debit/check only cards to reserve and cover the rental time.

This is common. Avis, Alamo and Budget either do the same, or put a hold on the entire projected amount when you rent the car. Google "debit card car rental."

Sounds like the previous management was doing you a favor as a long-time customer, but that's not the policy at most car rental companies - they don't like debit cards.

Some major car rental companies do credit checks every time you want to use a debit card. Potential creditors would certainly notice that.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

I also rent with Enterprise.  They are the only rental company in the nearest town and I like the idea that they will pick me up and take me home.  Every time I have rented in the last 2 or  3 years, they call me the day before to verify the rental and at that time they ask if I am using a regular credit card, a debit, or a prepaid card.  I always use a credit card, but the last time I rented I asked what if I were using a debit card and she stated that I would have to bring a utility bill as a proof of address. So, I am surprised you haven't encountered that before now. Under forms of payment  on the review screen before finalizing the car reservation, it does say you need additional documentation if using a debit card. 

I have had nothing but excellent service from them so it sounds as if the people in the office you are using are not trained as well as they should be.  I don't think it is unreasonable for you to be upset.  I would discuss it with the manager and suggest they call people a day ahead to verify the reservation and inform them of the special rules related to a debit card at that time.  It does, however, sound like they would have accomodated you by taking you home and back so, while certainly an inconvenience,  you wouldn't have been stranded. 

Honored Contributor

Did you ask to speak to a manager?

It's tricky when everyone is new and all want to go exactly by the book (as someone new should), but I would think even a new manager would be able to check records and make an executive decision.

Esteemed Contributor

The Enterprise near us does not accept debit cards as a form payment.  Businesses that usually don't accept the debit card is that they have been burnt in the past.  In the case of car rental company, it could be that there is money to cover the cost of the rental but not enough to cover the cost if a car is returned damaged.

Honored Contributor

Why would you use a debit card instead of a credit card?

With a credit card - they aren't putting a hold on your money...it's much safer, IMO.

Occasional Contributor
I have used the same debit card to pay them over $35-40, 000 over the last 4 years. I received no help from manager.
Honored Contributor

Sounds like the new manager is new to management and is somewhat paranoid. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I've used them often with few gripes about them. The last time I was in I saw the new sign about their debit card policies.

I rented  beautiful full size SUV for vacation with a hold on a cc but paid at the return with a debit card. Was a bit of a hiccup changing cards but all went well.