Honored Contributor

Enchanting story to enjoy

[ Edited ]

a fairy tail ( Woman Wink) come to life...

Home squeak home! Wildlife photographer creates a playground for family of mice in his back garden

Faced with a family of mice running about the garden, many of us would reach for the trap – or employ the services of a local tomcat.

Wildlife photographer Simon Dell, however, saw an opportunity. In the hope of getting some eye-catching pictures, he set about creating a little home from home for them – and these are the enchanting results.

Mr Dell created a special log house and playground for the mice, who he has called George and Mildred, and their baby, Mini. The creatures eat berries and nuts Mr Dell picks on walks around a nature reserve near his home in Sheffield.

He said: ‘Being a keen wildlife photographer I am often taking photos of birds on the feeders in the garden. Then one day I looked down to see a very cute little house mouse standing up in the grass.

‘Knowing there are cats just over the fence I thought I would give them a little more safety so collected some logs and made them a log pile home.’

He added: ‘The mice are very trusting and know I mean them no harm. I love nature so am happy to live alongside such cute creatures.’ 

Animal magic: Mice George and Mildred poke their heads out of their little man-made hut
Faced with a family of mice running about the garden, wildlife photographer Simon Dell saw an opportunity to set up mesmerising pictures
One of the rodents appears from his hut in the hunt for something to eat
Mr Dell built the special log house at his home in Sheffield and picks them food on his walks around a nature reserve

And they lived happily ever after...   8)
Honored Contributor

Re: Enchanting story to enjoy

Love your story and picturess!  Your heart is in the right place and you know how to create happiness.  Could we please clone you?  Happy Sunday!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@feline groovy  Thanks for posting this.  I love field mice.  Back in my distant youth, I worked on my aunts farm over the summer.  Once Sunday I took an afternoon nap in my bed and left the windows open.  I woke up to see two little eyes watching me.  There was the cutest little mouse sitting on my blanket watching me.  We kept watching each other for a while until it hopped out the window.   It was the cutest experience ever and I have cherished it for decades.

Esteemed Contributor

I love it, especially Mini with her little hands stretched out. 

Honored Contributor

OH, how cute.  I loved this!  Thanks for sharing it with us.

Honored Contributor

So cute @feline groovy. When I was a little girl I had a couple of mice for pets and then later I got some gerbils. They were the cutest little pets I ever had.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@feline groovy-

This is the cutest!

I think I want to marry him!

Thank you for posting this sweet story.

When my mother tried to get rid of the little mouse in her house, when I saw him, I thought he was so cute-like the little mice in CinderellaSmiley Happy

I had her use peppermint oil on cotton balls. They don't like that but its not toxic to them, just makes them leave.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

These cute pictures would be just perfect for a children's book.  I'd just make up a story to go along with the pics.Heart

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett