Respected Contributor

Sometimes more space around decorative pieces makes them stand out more.

A few special framed photos,  a single large shell,  a fat candle surrounded by colorful flat shells, CD's stored horizontally on little cd holders.

Some ideas from our FL shelves:

3845FA0B-9676-4EAE-8D28-86F2DA5D93AB.jpeg

35435569-78F6-44D6-B921-CD2A26CEADC4.jpegA3DF34E2-3072-4E82-9A09-E69AE9751A8C.jpeg

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

I would start with using the bookcases as "anchor" pieces.   Put a desk...or maybe  an entertainment center between the cases.  Or possibly use them as  frames on both sides of a fireplace.    If the bookcases are finished  on the back, you might use them as a room divider...

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@shy bobcat wrote:

I have two beautiful wood with glass front bookcases that I love. The shelves were full of old books that had an attractive vintage look. What began as a small chore of cleaning and clearing out old books has left me with empty bookshelves. My DH wanted to keep some old books from his graduate school years, in the event he decided to read or refer to them.  He hasn't looked at these books in fifty years.  

My question ... what to put on these empty bookshelves.  I have some decorative pieces but don't want these shelves to be just for collectables.  Any suggestions?

pinterest might have some ideas.

Respected Contributor

I have pictures of family members and pets in pretty frames in mine.

Honored Contributor

I would open up the glass and put in a few books laying down with maybe a candle on top.  A little over from that, maybe an interesting rock, shell, or photograph.

Second shelf, maybe two short candlesticks,  some interesting bookends holding up about 3 (use an odd number) of books, and than an antique cup and saucer.

You could make one shelf family photos in a variety of  frames with a small silk plant.

Amazon.com: YITAHOME 5-Tier Bookshelf, S-Shaped Z-Shelf Bookshelves and  Bookcase, Modern Freestanding Multifunctional Decorative Storage Shelving  for Living Room Home Office, Black : Home & Kitchen

Honored Contributor

In my wildest imagnation .... I can't picture empty bookcases.

I ran out of bookcase space in my apartment about 10 years ago .... and bought a Kindle so I have "space" for more books.

Esteemed Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

In my wildest imagnation .... I can't picture empty bookcases.

I ran out of bookcase space in my apartment about 10 years ago .... and bought a Kindle so I have "space" for more books.

I'm w/ you @ALRATIBA we have so many books at our house. We inherited this house from my husband's family and they inherited it from their grandfather (house is over 120 years old). Every generation added books to the book shelves and my husband and I added even more to the book collection.

Now, to be honest, my books are primarily novels - nothing too high-minded. I did not keep many of my books from college and grad school. I've now moved to e-books because we just don't have the space to put any books w/o removing some of the existing books. One of my projects this past month was to clean and organize all the books. Oh MY WORD ... next time I'm getting someone to help. 

In my personal office, which I have not yet converted to a yoga room, I have books and mementos (art work, pictures, rocks-yes rocks, post cards, bobble heads, etc) interspersed w/ a few of my favorite hardback novels. Bookcases are just shelves ... I say put whatever on them that makes you happy. As someone else posted, you can google what to put on bookshelves and look a the ideas for what might work for your home.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Trusted Contributor

Suggestions:

folded throws or quilts;

baskets;

pretty serving dishes such as a large platter, soup toureen, pitcher, tea set;

seasonal decor;

small accent lamps.

Honored Contributor

Silk flower or dried arrangement, A small painting leaning against the back.  Go to etsy and see what you can find.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Reminds me of the library cases that belonged to my stepfather.  He passed away shortly before I graduated from college.  My mother moved to a house of her choice and my sister and I moved those cases ourselves.

They were old, in beautiful condition, and incredibly heavy.

My mother filled them with something my stepfather's mother had collected: Unusual vintage teacups.

It was really quite a stunning display.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~