Honored Contributor

The incredible shrinking avocado

[ Edited ]

I love avocados. I just received a grocery delivery from Amazon Fresh. With each order, my avos have gotten smaller and smaller. Today, my avos are smaller than the lemon I bought to use with them. Talk about shrinkflation. I'd gladly pay more for my avocados. I only buy Haas. 

Honored Contributor

Re: The incredible shrinking avocado

@Mindy D wrote:

I love avocados. I just received a grocery delivery from Amazon Fresh. With each order, my avos have gotten smaller and smaller. Today, my avos are smaller than the lemon I bought to use with them. Talk about shrinkflation. I'd gladly pay more for myavacados. I only buy Haas. 

Are you a costco member, @Mindy D ?   I buy ours there.  

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch @I need to rejoin.

Honored Contributor

i usually buy mine from sams club and they are always good sized and well priced.

i do sometimes buy them at the grocery store and they come in two sizes.....regular and minis. the minis are perfect because you can eat one without having to save the other half. a good "personal sized" avocado.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Mindy D    I've had the same problem with my avocados from Wal-Mart.  Before the short period when they were unavailable, they were small but since they became available again, they are downright miniature.  I'm going to quit buying them until the quality improves.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

This week I bought a rotisserie chicken from Acme Markets and it was 2.3 pounds.

I got a takeout lunch special from a restaurant that included soup. 9 ounces.

Is this a new national weight loss scheme?

Trusted Contributor

I buy the teeny tiny ones from Trader Joe's they come in a bag of five and are a perfect size. No leftovers to deal with.

Respected Contributor

I'm seeing this here, too. Interestingly, these shrinking avocados each cost more than the plump ones I used to get. Figures!

Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3    certainly works that way, doesn't it?

Respected Contributor

I love avocados too.  Good ones.  Nothing worse than cutting one open and finding all sorts of brown and dotted areas.  So disappointing.

I would not want anyone else picking out my produce.  Packaged stuff is one thing, but fresh food, which is mostly what I try to eat, I'm fussy about.  Firm crisp grapes - no soft ones (not always easy to find), decent avocados, bananas, lettuces, etc...

I haven't noticed any smaller ones, but the prices vary greatly.  Low at .59 cents and high at $1.29 or more at the pricier supermarkets.  I usually get them for an average price of .99 cents, but that will most likely change and face increases like EVERYTHING ELSE.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing