Valued Contributor

I have two beautiful wood with glass front bookcases that I love. The shelves were full of old books that had an attractive vintage look. What began as a small chore of cleaning and clearing out old books has left me with empty bookshelves. My DH wanted to keep some old books from his graduate school years, in the event he decided to read or refer to them.  He hasn't looked at these books in fifty years.  

My question ... what to put on these empty bookshelves.  I have some decorative pieces but don't want these shelves to be just for collectables.  Any suggestions?

Valued Contributor

BOOKS! interpesed with some special  pieces you love.

Contributor

Books are the best.  Or just get rid of it.

Honored Contributor

LED candles will add some nice soft light.  You can lay some books down and set a small one on top or just set them on the shelf.

Respected Contributor

google how to decorate bookcase without books, many pictures and ideas

Honored Contributor

Remove the glass and put plants there.

Esteemed Contributor

I am lucky to have a glass front cabinet that my great grandmother got for her wedding.  Would not part with and keep telling DD to keep her hands off 😂

I moved it to the dining room and keep all my tablecloths, placemats and napkins in it.  Make a nice array of color too.

Respected Contributor

Genealogy displays? One bookcase for your family, the other one for husband's and each shelf a different branch (ie mom's maternal line, dad's paternal line). You can include pictures, fan charts, mementos, maps, etc. Google for ideas.

Honored Contributor

I was also going to suggest plants.  You can leave the doors open and have some of the sprawling varieties, if you like them, drape over.  

Intersperse it with anything you do like, books, art, collectibles and you'll have a beautiful showpiece. 

Respected Contributor

Oh - maybe seasonal/holiday decor?