Respected Contributor

Re: Emotional Support Service Dogs???

On 6/14/2014 kdgn said:

Service dogs are trained and accredited and provide an invaluable service to those that need them.

The practice of being able to go on-line and purchase a service dog vest just because you want your dog to have one needs to be stopped. That has the potential to ruin it for all.

I frequently saw a therapy dog brought into my mom's nursing home. The dog wore the appropriate vest and there was a pocket holder for paperwork. The owner of the dog also wore a vest indicating a therapy group.

These animals are priceless to those who need them. They serve a purpose well beyond what most of us can comprehend. They are not just ""pets"".

Those selling vests on-line to anyone who wants one need to be shut down. As in yesterday.

Watch out or you will be told to mind your own business and that you are a joker or a clown.

Respected Contributor

It boils down to ethics and entitlement. People who pass their dogs off as service animals when they are not have a lack of ethics. They feel they are entitled to have their dogs with them regardless of the rules and how it may affect others.
Honored Contributor

On 6/14/2014 chessylady said: It boils down to ethics and entitlement. People who pass their dogs off as service animals when they are not have a lack of ethics. They feel they are entitled to have their dogs with them regardless of the rules and how it may affect others.

I think the % of people abusing the law is miniscule.

And it's not worth worrying over.

Honored Contributor

On 6/14/2014 chessylady said: It boils down to ethics and entitlement. People who pass their dogs off as service animals when they are not have a lack of ethics. They feel they are entitled to have their dogs with them regardless of the rules and how it may affect others.

Great example.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Respected Contributor

Those who want to pass their dog off as some type of service/therapy dog may well find themselves in a world of hurt if their dog hauls off and bites someone. They will be held personally liable.

Those dogs that are considered therapy dogs have the backing of an organization and carry insurance. The dogs have to pass a couple of tests before they are issued certificates. A friend of mine has one that she takes into the school/library. The kids read to the dog and the dog loves it. She wears her authentic vest and her owner has all the necessary paperwork with her whenever the dog is doing her ""work"". (I say ""work"" because the dog doesn't seem to view it as work but as her calling.)

I would have loved to have taken either one of my dogs into the nursing home to visit my mother. Then I found out about liability issues that I would be held responsible for. I decided against it. Mine would never pass the Good Citizenship test.................

Valued Contributor

all you have to do is Google Emotional Support Animal Scams

Hey you, get off of my cloud...
Respected Contributor

If a dog is acting up, disruptive and disobedient, it would be logical that it isn't providing all that much comfort to the owner, let alone anyone else in close quarters.

I have never witnessed any "service" dog that appeared to not be genuine. Even at Costco with a food sampling vendor nearby, the dog had no impulse to have a sample and was oblivious to anything other than their responsibility.

Respected Contributor

On 6/14/2014 terrier3 said:

I think the % of people abusing the law is miniscule.

And it's not worth worrying over.

Terrier, that's what folks who felt those who were purchasing the "services" of a disabled person at Disney operations felt too. Then it became a big problem and it hurt those who are truly disabled at the parks.

I take this one seriously. There are those who do need their dogs for emotional support. I understand that. But they are not usually trained-and they really should be. At least in obedience and CGC.

Valued Contributor

Respected Contributor

PD, like I said, there are liars everywhere. The thing is, it is unwise to question the legitimacy if you see an opportunity.

Thankfully, service dog usage has very definite limitations on questioning the dog owner on its legitimacy. Comfort dog usage has fewer protections and fewer rights.