Respected Contributor

Re: Emotional Support Service Dogs???

On 6/14/2014 bikerbabe said:

My DH had 2 dogs over the years who saved him from suicide on multiple occasions.{#emotions_dlg.crying}

Animals are indeed an important comfort and help and aide to many people. Thank goodness your dh had such dogs to help him.

I was at a store not too long ago and there was a magnificent "pit bull" dog who was a service dog for a woman who had had a stroke. I can't recall why she needed him but he was a wonderful animal. When my dd went up to her and spoke to her the dog "alerted" on my daughter and tried to protect her as well. We didn't realize that's what he was doing until she told us. My dd has seizure disorder and he must have sensed that even though her seizures are under control.

ETA: This dog was also a "rescue" from somewhere. He had been one of those dogs that they let the other dogs attack to train them to fight. So, she rescued him and now he rescues her.

Super Contributor

On 6/14/2014 happy housewife said:

I wonder if those getting their panties in a knot over this discussion are because they are ones who are abusing this?

I doubt it.

I guess you could use the same (flawed) logic and suggest all those who are so skeptical are human and animal haters.

Honored Contributor

On 6/14/2014 scotttie said:

Did I say I was qualified to determine? No. I said there needs to be a format for regulating service dogs before it gets ruined for those who truly do need them.

People have said here that you can just order the vests online and go about taking your pet anywhere you please.

Some people on this thread are acting like those who are concerned about the practice are walking up to people and telling them to get their dog the h*** out.

Settle down. My gosh posting rude song lyrics even. Who is the more compassionate? Those who want to be sure service dogs for people who need them remain a viable option or those who just want to snark and point fingers?

Who are more compassionate?

Your two choices leave out the best one - people who trust health providers and authorities to decide who can benefit and mind their own business and don't second guess other people with service dogs.

Respected Contributor

On 6/14/2014 terrier3 said:
On 6/14/2014 scotttie said:

Did I say I was qualified to determine? No. I said there needs to be a format for regulating service dogs before it gets ruined for those who truly do need them.

People have said here that you can just order the vests online and go about taking your pet anywhere you please.

Some people on this thread are acting like those who are concerned about the practice are walking up to people and telling them to get their dog the h*** out.

Settle down. My gosh posting rude song lyrics even. Who is the more compassionate? Those who want to be sure service dogs for people who need them remain a viable option or those who just want to snark and point fingers?

Who are more compassionate?

Your two choices leave out the best one - people who trust health providers and authorities to decide who can benefit and mind their own business and don't second guess other people with service dogs.

I guess you could mind your own business about the Kardashians and all the people you regularly like to bash too.

Super Contributor

There are two distinct categories of dogs used here. One is a therapy dog that goes into nursing homes, hospitals and assists children in reading skills. These dogs have to be bathed every time they are to go into any facility. Yes, they are well trained and not excitable. These are calm, well behaved dogs. These dogs are not allowed in restaurants etc. but allowed in places that a therapy dog was intended to be.

Service dogs have extensive training from puppyhood on to assist their owners in whatever needs are required. Some dogs alert owners of oncoming seizures, diabetic hypoglycemia etc. We see service dog that open doors or pick up something off the floor. There are all types of service dogs. Service dogs are often bred for their ability to do the tasks needed. Service dogs are not to be petted while doing their job. They are very calm and not reactive. Puppies are in foster homes until about a year when they move on to more advanced training for their job in life. At about age 2 they are matched with the person needing a service dog and are in training with the new person and finally placed permanently in that home. I have had future service dogs in my classes where they learn social skills and basic manners along with regular dogs. The club that I belong to provides classes free of charge for service dogs. These dogs come with documentation and lots of paperwork from the service dog organization.

Someone had contacted me awhile back wanting her dog to be a service dog so that he could ride the city bus with her. She had no disability and asked for free classes to make it happen. Of course, it was a no go. There was not any reason for her dog to be a service dog. Yes, some try to beat the system.

Respected Contributor

Service dogs are trained and accredited and provide an invaluable service to those that need them.

The practice of being able to go on-line and purchase a service dog vest just because you want your dog to have one needs to be stopped. That has the potential to ruin it for all.

I frequently saw a therapy dog brought into my mom's nursing home. The dog wore the appropriate vest and there was a pocket holder for paperwork. The owner of the dog also wore a vest indicating a therapy group.

These animals are priceless to those who need them. They serve a purpose well beyond what most of us can comprehend. They are not just ""pets"".

Those selling vests on-line to anyone who wants one need to be shut down. As in yesterday.

Honored Contributor

On 6/14/2014 azterry! said:
On 6/14/2014 happy housewife said:

I wonder if those getting their panties in a knot over this discussion are because they are ones who are abusing this?

I doubt it.

I guess you could use the same (flawed) logic and suggest all those who are so skeptical are human and animal haters.

The posters questioning who is entitled to service dogs and people with dogs they see in public are in the same group of posters who question other shoppers' food choices and what currency they use to pay the cashier.

Respected Contributor

On 6/14/2014 nagrom said:

There are two distinct categories of dogs used here. One is a therapy dog that goes into nursing homes, hospitals and assists children in reading skills. These dogs have to be bathed every time they are to go into any facility. Yes, they are well trained and not excitable. These are calm, well behaved dogs. These dogs are not allowed in restaurants etc. but allowed in places that a therapy dog was intended to be.

Service dogs have extensive training from puppyhood on to assist their owners in whatever needs are required. Some dogs alert owners of oncoming seizures, diabetic hypoglycemia etc. We see service dog that open doors or pick up something off the floor. There are all types of service dogs. Service dogs are often bred for their ability to do the tasks needed. Service dogs are not to be petted while doing their job. They are very calm and not reactive. Puppies are in foster homes until about a year when they move on to more advanced training for their job in life. At about age 2 they are matched with the person needing a service dog and are in training with the new person and finally placed permanently in that home. I have had future service dogs in my classes where they learn social skills and basic manners along with regular dogs. The club that I belong to provides classes free of charge for service dogs. These dogs come with documentation and lots of paperwork from the service dog organization.

Someone had contacted me awhile back wanting her dog to be a service dog so that he could ride the city bus with her. She had no disability and asked for free classes to make it happen. Of course, it was a no go. There was not any reason for her dog to be a service dog. Yes, some try to beat the system.

Excellent-

Valued Contributor

there is a lot of words being tossed around about being or not being compassionate or not judging.

I get it

All I am bringing to anyone's attention is the ESA label on some dogs that is clearly a big wide gray area and is becoming the way to get around a ""no pets"" policy at businesses.

Hey you, get off of my cloud...
Respected Contributor

State laws are in place, at least in some states, in their Disabilities sections, to address both service and comfort dogs.

Here's what California has which may be similar to other states.

http://www.disabilityrightsca.org/pubs/548301.pdf