Valued Contributor

Emotional Support Service Dogs???

I had heard about this -- but saw one at a restaurant yesterday. It barked and wandered all around the owner. A friend was with me. She sent me a link last night that took me to a website selling the vest the dog was wearing.

Why are people doing this?

Hey you, get off of my cloud...
Honored Contributor

Re: Emotional Support Service Dogs???

I've never heard of it...

Valued Contributor

My friend said she has seen this when she went to California to visit friends. It is a way people are stretching the truth to allow their pets full access to accompany them to restaurants, stores, etc. where pets are not normally allowed.

They are fake service dogs!

Respected Contributor

An emotional support animal (ESA) is a companion animal that provides therapeutic benefit, such as alleviating or mitigating some symptoms of the disability, to an individual with a mental or psychiatric disability.

Emotional support animals are typically dogs and cats, but may include other animals. In order to be prescribed an emotional support animal by a physician or other medical professional, the person seeking such an animal must have a verifiable disability.

To be afforded protection under United States federal law, a person must meet the federal definition of disability and must have a note from a physician or other medical professional stating that the person has that disability and that the emotional support animal provides a benefit for the individual with the disability. An animal does not need specific training to become an emotional support animal.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

On 6/14/2014 Photo Donna said:

My friend said she has seen this when she went to California to visit friends. It is a way people are stretching the truth to allow their pets full access to accompany them to restaurants, stores, etc. where pets are not normally allowed.

That's terrible.

Valued Contributor

On 6/14/2014 brii said:
On 6/14/2014 Photo Donna said:

That's terrible.

yep -- they are not recognized by the ADA. You can use this to get them in a building that does not allow pets -- but not in restaurants. And there are a LOT of fakes -- especially when it is so easy to get equipment online to use to get the pet outfitted to look like it is official.

Honored Contributor

Some people take advantage of everything. Sad that they have to do that when others really need it.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

They are just going to make it harder for somebody who really needs a service animal.

Valued Contributor

On 6/14/2014 brii said:

They are just going to make it harder for somebody who really needs a service animal.

that is exactly what we were thinking -- Preds -- it is very sad!

Frequent Contributor

My nephew has PTSD and turned his dog into a "" support dog""!