Honored Contributor

Re: Emmy "gift baskets" for celebrities

At the last big annual corporate meeting/awards presentation I attended at our company when I was working, our goody bag consisted of a cheap pen, memo pad and refrigerator magnet. I hope no one thinks I should have given them up for the cause!  Oh...and we also got a keychain that floats. 

I'll trade those for what the celebs get. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I worked for 45 years without a bonus, a tip, or a gift of any kind.  I got a paycheck and was happy to have it.  Did not see a raise of any kind the last 6 years, but we did stay in business.

I don't begrudge others for what they have.  It was my choice to take the job and work there.  I won't boo hoo about it now.

Honored Contributor

I saw a list of the gifts celebrities would be given and lug wasn't on it. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@patbz wrote:

At least they now pay taxes on the contents.

Not really.  They worked around the loophole, and it's not taxable anymore.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Honored Contributor

via forbes

Backstage Creations, in partnership with the Academy, is producing the official Giving Suite. Nominees and presenters can visit the suite, located backstage at the Microsoft Theatre, after rehearsal or during the ceremony and get to choose from a collection of luxury gifts.

Backstage Creations and the brand sponsors will donate money to the Television Academy Foundation on behalf of each celebrity who attends the suite. Karen Woods, founder of Backstage Creations, says they raised $150,000 last year and hopes to match it this year.

These gift bags come with strings attached, however, since recipients are required to report the fair market value of the merchandise on their federal income tax return. Though Backstage Creations declines to disclose the value of the gift bags, CNN pegged the value of 2014’s swag at $50,000.

By my estimate, it’s doubtful this year’s haul exceeds, let alone reaches, that figure. With the exception of the Canyon Ranch all-inclusive package, there appears to be few – if any – five-figure items in the swag bag.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hayleycuccinello/2017/09/17/inside-the-emmys-gift-bag/#4a3a2ea14f48

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

RealtyGal2

I agree with your comments.  Celebraties are often made to be villians because of their political beliefs by some.  However, many do donate to worthy causes and help out when these disasters occur.  Some do it openly and others quietly but they are generous and giving.  I don't begrudge them a gift basket and who knows maybe they donate what they receive.

With that being said anyone who donates to worthy causes and charities are just as generous no matter the amount.  

Honored Contributor

I don't think many of the gifts are going to help flood victims ....   designer sunglasses .... a weekend in Cabo .....   a gift certificate for a restaurant in Los Angeles ....  that sort of thing.    How would that be helpful?

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I don't think many of the gifts are going to help flood victims ....   designer sunglasses .... a weekend in Cabo .....   a gift certificate for a restaurant in Los Angeles ....  that sort of thing.    How would that be helpful?

some celebrities donate the items from their swag bags. they can go to auctions to help charitable organizations.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein