Honored Contributor

Not sure if there is another post on this, so forgive me if I'm duplicating.  Has anyone seen the pictures/videos of the devastating floods in this charming, historic down that occurred on Saturday night?  Horrible devastation.  Two people died.  Amazing that there weren't more deaths.  And the human chain formed to save a woman from her car was incredible to see.  I still can't believe what I've seen in all the news footage.  Such a charming town.  Six inches of rain in a 2-hour period.  Just awful.

Honored Contributor

Re: Ellicott City, MD Flooding

Yes, I saw it on the news last night. Horrible and devastating. I couldn't believe how furious the water was.

Respected Contributor

sending prayers to all affected by the flooding!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Respected Contributor

I saw it also.  I have never seen flash flooding to a relatively small confined area that horrific.

Honored Contributor

I spent many years there and cried when I saw it. Ellicott City has had floods before and devastating fires but this looks like a hurricane hit. It is shocking and sad.

They said this type of event only happens in 1000 years-that is the chance of it happening.

The creek that runs through it connects to the Patuxent river-I guess for this beautiful town it was the perfect storm.

I'm so sorry that 2 people died and yes, it was amazing.

more didn't.

Some of my family were driving thru it and just made it.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I live about 20 minutes away, very sad news, very historic area.

Honored Contributor

I lived right off of Main Street for 4 years and own a house further up the street (near the Court House). One of  my sons' friends is featured in the "human chain" that rescued a young woman from her car (the video is all over the place). The damage is.... you can not imagine. We were there last week.

There's going to be quite a bit of fall-out from this especially as many who live there and/or own a business have spent DECADES complaining about the lack of having a watershed for water run-off and over development. Unless you know the area it's confusing but many predicted that something like this would happen due to the water having no place to go during a hurricane/tornado. 

My old townhouse is still standing, I know that but business's owned by friends are gone;  an "act of God" means no insurance pay-out. 

It's.....horrible, tragic and a living nightmare.

Esteemed Contributor

It has been called a 1000 year flood.

I fear that these events will be more common. We had flash floods Sat. and Sun. several flooding incidents every few months since we moved here and I've been told that it used to be a rare occurrence.
Honored Contributor

we had quite a bit of rain in our area saturday night.....enough that the restaurant we were in had to start sand bagging the entrance. no where near what ellicott city went through though. we live about half an hour away. i had posted a few pictures on this thread if you have not seen them already "were getting a good rain soaking."  it is so sad....some businesses have already said that they will reopen as soon as they can get the money to begin the process, while others are shut down for good because some of the area will have to totally rebuild.....the buildings cannot be saved.

http://community.qvc.com/t5/Community-Chat/We-re-getting-a-good-rain-soaking/m-p/2997984#U2997984

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

I live in Maryland and was horrified to see the flooding.  Haven't been to Ellicot City in years, but it is a lovely area with lots of wonderful shops.

So sad to see the devastation and that two died.   It looked like a waterfall going through town.  I cannot imagine how frightening it must have been for those that got caught.