Respected Contributor

Re: Elf on the Shelf question

I remember an episode of Shark Tank on CNBC where some fellow presented his  elf-life creation for Hannukah.........Mensch on the Bench.  

I personally think Elf on the Shelf is a charming and fun thing for children.  My granddaughter, now 7, excitedly shows us the Elf who appears in her house shortly after Thanksgiving.

Now that she's getting older and hears who-knows-what on the playground from other kids, I wasn't sure if she still believed in the myth of Santa and elves.........so I asked her one day several months ago where the Elf goes when Christmas is over.

In her most matter-of-fact tone indicating she thinks "grandma is an idiot", she said he goes back to the North Pole.   I told her I sort of thought so, but wasn't sure, and thanks for letting me know.

So the myth lives on for maybe another year or two.  LOL!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain

you said...<<Creepy and poor parenting. If parents can't keep their children in line without bringing in a creepy thing and then lying to them about being spyed upon they are in desperate need of parenting classes.>>

Is belief in Santa a lie perpetrated by bad parents, too?  

I figured out the Santa/elves myth eventually, and my kids did too.

I don't think they harbor any resentment over the "lies" we told them.

Trusted Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@graciesmom1003

that's wonderful!  I can't remember my GD elf name but I think it's a "wonderful" fantasy in this world of sad & crazy happenings.  I enjoy hearing all the silly places she ends up!

To those who say it's a sign of "poor parenting" I disagree!  When we were kids our parents always started reminding "Santas watching!".   We believed it especially on Christmas Day when we got wonderful things from him for being good!

I wish we could all enjoy the fantasy Santa forever...instead of "growing up"!

Exactly, I was about to post the same thing, bad parenting, really??  When I was growing up, my parents always told me Santa’s watching, he has his nice and naughty list....the elf is no different.  It’s an elf, for goodness sakes....try not to take it so seriously...I had a blast when my kids were young, figuring out where to hide him and what kind of crazy shenanigans he was up to...my kids loved it.

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Respected Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Creepy and poor parenting. If parents can't keep their children in line without bringing in a creepy thing and then lying to them about being spyed upon they are in desperate need of parenting classes.

I hate the elf and the message behind it. I don't believe in bribing kids to be "good" to get stuff. You do the right thing not for a reward but because it's the right thing to do.

I think a lot of parents do it to show off on social media the clever positions they've come up with.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Respected Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

Some kids are really traumatized when they find out Santa isn't real. I always wonder if learning the truth about the Santa myth makes kids question other supernatural things they've been taught.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Santa is imaginary, not sitting on a shelf watching. Parents act on Santa's behalf which children learn when they're older. We never included the naughty/nice list in the fantasy.

That elf reminds me of that song, I Always Feel Like Somebody's Watching Me and I've Got No Privacy...

Respected Contributor

@JJsMom

<<Some kids are really traumatized when they find out Santa isn't real. >>

Here's one way to immediately help them get over the "trauma".---.just tell them that their Christmas presents and full stockings will keep coming, courtesy of the "Santa" parents who were providing them all along.

That's what  matters to most of them, and they will discover these things on their own when the "magic" of the holiday wears off and they begin to be taught to give gifts to others, which is the true spirit of the season anyway.

Santa is a symbol of giving.  Nothing traumatic about that if presented that way, in my opinion.

Honored Contributor

I seriously doubt that children are "traumatized" because Santa isn't real.

The learning about it from other kids or being teased for still believing might have that effect but seriously-are we now to blame adult issues on learning Santa isn't real?

Children aren't clueless and they know those presents are going to be under that tree regardless of being "naughty or nice".

If the elf is used as Santa's helper to let Santa know the desired gifts, that is one thing.

But to display the elf as a motivator of good behavior is used by SOME parents to get their children "in line". 

It may work temporarily but once Christmas morning arrives and presents are still given-the kiddos know it's back to being themselves.

That is the point-the elf has nothing to do with motivation; it's just another "trick" to get kids to behave.  And it really doesn't work.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain wrote:

Creepy and poor parenting. If parents can't keep their children in line without bringing in a creepy thing and then lying to them about being spyed upon they are in desperate need of parenting classes.

I'm guessing parents can make this into what they want to.  It doesn't need to be about being spyed on.  To me it's no different than telling kids Santa is watching.  Or are you against that too?     

And yeah, parents bribe kids all the time.  They might not call it bribing but that's what it is.  Little kids are little kids and they are going to act out because it's what they do. They need something to motivate them.

My 2 year old niece gets a donut after church if she's good in church.  She's 2.  That's her motivation right now to be good.  Not good in church, no donut.  If that's what it takes, so be it. 

Kids have to be good or there are consequences and likewise if they are good, there is a reward.    

Respected Contributor

@JJsMom wrote:

@novamc1 wrote:

Some kids are really traumatized when they find out Santa isn't real. I always wonder if learning the truth about the Santa myth makes kids question other supernatural things they've been taught.

LOL I remember when my daughter asked me if I was Santa. I said yes and the Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy too. No sense in going thru that 3 times.