Respected Contributor

When did the Elf start? My sons are 1980s babies and I know it wasn’t there for them. Now it seems to be everywhere.

Honored Contributor

Re: Elf on the Shelf question

Good question.  My kids were born in the mid 80's and I have nieces who came along in the early 90's and it wasn't around then.  Not that I would have bought into it, it seems spooky to me.

Honored Contributor

The Elf on the Shelf was written in 2004 by Carol Aebersold and daughter Chanda Bell over a cup of tea. Bell suggested they write a book about an old tradition of an elf sent from Santa who came to watch over them at Christmas time. Aebersold's other daughter, Christa Pitts, was recruited by the family to share her expertise in sales and marketing. Together, the trio devoted the next three years promoting their self-published book and attending book signings and trade shows.

The Elf on the Shelf won the Best Toy Award by Learning Express, won Book of the Year Award from Creative Child Awards and National Best Books Award sponsored by USA Book News in 2008. In 2012, The Elf on the Shelf made its first appearance in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade alongside fellow parade newcomers Hello Kitty and Papa Smurf. In 2013, The Elf on the Shelf hit the No. 1 spot on the USA Today Bestsellers List.[1]

On 26 November 2011, the book aired on CBS as a 30-minute animated TV show, An Elf's Story: The Elf on the Shelf, directed by Chad Eikhoff.[2][3] The Washington Post criticized the quality of the animation and dismissed it as "just a half-hour advertisement for a book and a toy", which it felt would not join "the canon of prime-time animated Christmas specials that actually move the spirit".[3] Common Sense Media disagreed, calling the special "a great addition to families' holiday TV traditions";[4] however, they also warn parents about the consumer-driven nature of the story, and make note of its lack of educational value.

In October 2013, The Elf on the Shelf: A Birthday Tradition was released. Written and illustrated by the same team that created the first book, it offers instructions for inviting a scout elf to visit for a child's birthday party and describes how the elf decorates a chair for the child.[citation needed] In April 2014, two supplemental birthday products were released: The Elf on the Shelf Birthday Countdown Game and The Elf on the Shelf Birthday Chair Decoration Kit.[citation needed]

-----------

Christa Pitts was a show host of QVC in the 1990's

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The actual elf was around when I was a child....in the late 50's-60's. A small box of candy was tucked in his folded legs.  We used to get the elf/candy for Christmas each year. I am thinking it was a small Whitman Sampler box.

We used to eat the candy and play with the elf.  My mother used to pack the elf away with the Christmas things each year and bring him out the following year for us to play with and as we had quite a few, she would decorate with them.

Respected Contributor

I remember having those elves around when I was a kid in the 60s.  All of a sudden, it became a "thing" that turned him into so much more than just a cute decoration.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The book and the elf were great for my triplet granddaughters..."Lucky Elvin" kept all three of them in line....especially the two who tormented their sister all the time...she always looked forward to him arriving...she knew she would get some relief! SIL sat his alarm every night to get up and move him around. We spent the night there one time and ELvin almost scared me to death..he was on top of the bathroom mirror....kinda creepy!

Honored Contributor

Creepy and poor parenting. If parents can't keep their children in line without bringing in a creepy thing and then lying to them about being spyed upon they are in desperate need of parenting classes.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Creepy and poor parenting. If parents can't keep their children in line without bringing in a creepy thing and then lying to them about being spyed upon they are in desperate need of parenting classes.

I agree, I don't think it's in the holiday spirit which should be about joy and fantasy for little kids.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I find the elf creepy, too, but certainly not an indication of poor parenting.  

As a a kid I felt threatened by the thought that Santa was watching me to see if I was deserving or not.

Trusted Contributor

I remember hearing that it was a "thing" in the 1950's.

I've  had an Elf since my oldest was 3 or 4, now he is now 13.  I wouldn't consider it a way to keep them in line.  Christmas is such an exciting time when you are little.  When they were really little I could say be careful your Elf is watching.  What was really cute is watching them talk to the Elf.  For them it was a way to communicate with Santa.  Sometimes one would leave a note with the Elf to deliver.  

I felt horrible if I forgot to move the Elf, my kids were heartbroken.

My youngest still believes so the Elf will be coming back out after Thanksgiving.