Honored Contributor
On 7/11/2014 CrazyDaisy said:
On 7/11/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said:
On 7/7/2014 CrazyDaisy said:
On 7/7/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said:

I would never put a pain inflecting device on a dog. If it was so effective, why is there not one for toddlers?

Coyote rolls can prevent our dog from jumping the fence. Making yourself and the games you are playing with her interesting will keep her attention and in your yard. Never saw a dog jump the fence while playing with their owner. Recall training can help retrieve your dog should he get out.

I have two medium size dogs and live in an apartment. There are lots of things you can do to provide exercise for your dog.

Are you really serious? There is a huge difference between humans and animals. If you can't see that then I just shake my head. Dogs have certain drives that humans don't. These drives are what make them do what they do. Humans have higher functioning brains than a dog and we can communicate with children using the same language. Dogs don't understand logic or reason. You need to recognize the dogs drives and use them to get the desired behavior. Usually using their drive to eat is enough when teaching the basic obedience (rewarding the right behavior with a treat), but sometimes there are other challenges that need another approach. How do you think mother dogs keep their pups in line when teaching them? She gives them a little bite to the neck. Used appropriately, and at the lowest setting to be effective, e-collars are perfectly safe and do not inflict great amounts of pain. It's a small reminder that simulates what the mother dog does.

When was the last time a toddler understood logic and reason, no matter what language used. Mothers dogs are right there next to puppies to make the corrections, that is how they learn. Same with mothers of toddlers, they are there to make the corrections. They do not rely on electric shocks to control and correct their children.

I stand by my statement. Inflecting pain is not acceptable. How do you know it is not "great amount of pain" to a dog on the lowest setting. Different people can tolerate different levels of pain, why not dogs. How do you now one shock will not traumatize the dog (have seen it). Or even more likely the dogs "drive" will allow them to ignore the pain at any setting and the behavior continues. Hard to believe with a "higher functioning brain" people can not find ways to contain and train there pets (who they chose to live with them not the other way around) without the inflecting pain.

Again...just SMH. Have your opinion and I'll have mine. You've obviously made up your mind without really understanding the proper way of using them. But if professional trainers recommend them, that has to say something - especially when they aren't being paid to do so, but base their recommendation on results.

You are correct I have made up my mind because I do know how they work - with fear and pain. I do not know which professional trainers you truly know that recommend them, unless you are buying into commercials. Every professional trainer I actually know and follow cringe when you mention these quick fix tricks and devices, they erode the relationship between you and your dog. Whatever you choose to do with your dog is up to you, however whenever I am asked I will continue to provide my opinion -- there are better ways to control and train you dog than through fear and pain.

Completely untrue. Having used one, it hasn't eroded the relationship between us and our dog in the least. The professional I referred to is someone we did our obedience classes with, learning the traditional method. He leads basic obedience and advance obedience classes for the general public, but also trains pure bred (from Germany) German Shepherds for competitions and police work. For us, the collar was only used for certain situations when traditional training didn't work. Through the combined methods of traditional training and a little bit extra help via the collar (definitely not a quick fix, but a permanent one) I have a dog who no longer counter surfs, one who will leave the cat's food alone, a dog who stays in our yard off leash (unfenced corner lot), a dog who knows to wait when unfamiliar people arrive, and a dog that loves the heck out of me and either has to have his head on my leg or completely climbs up into my lap every time I sit down or be right near me when I'm doing other things around the house.

You are entitled to you opinion as I am mine. I feel you are making overblown statements about these collar and don't understand the way they are intended to be appropriately used.

I'm done discussing this since you want to exaggerate about the collars, even though you've never used one, and you refuse to be reasonable or acknowledge that sometimes traditional methods don't work.

Have a nice day.

Respected Contributor

The idea of a poor dog confined to its yard while others, unleashed, might wander onto the property and attack her freely gives me goosebumps. Same thing for those who use this method for their cats.

I know you're trying to do what's best for your dog, but please consider this.

What worries you masters you.
Esteemed Contributor
On 7/11/2014 CrazyDaisy said:
On 7/7/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said:

I would never put a pain inflecting device on a dog. If it was so effective, why is there not one for toddlers?

Coyote rolls can prevent our dog from jumping the fence. Making yourself and the games you are playing with her interesting will keep her attention and in your yard. Never saw a dog jump the fence while playing with their owner. Recall training can help retrieve your dog should he get out.

I have two medium size dogs and live in an apartment. There are lots of things you can do to provide exercise for your dog.

Are you really serious? There is a huge difference between humans and animals. If you can't see that then I just shake my head. Dogs have certain drives that humans don't. These drives are what make them do what they do. Humans have higher functioning brains than a dog and we can communicate with children using the same language. Dogs don't understand logic or reason. You need to recognize the dogs drives and use them to get the desired behavior. Usually using their drive to eat is enough when teaching the basic obedience (rewarding the right behavior with a treat), but sometimes there are other challenges that need another approach. How do you think mother dogs keep their pups in line when teaching them? She gives them a little bite to the neck. Used appropriately, and at the lowest setting to be effective, e-collars are perfectly safe and do not inflict great amounts of pain. It's a small reminder that simulates what the mother dog does.

When was the last time a toddler understood logic and reason, no matter what language used. Mothers dogs are right there next to puppies to make the corrections, that is how they learn. Same with mothers of toddlers, they are there to make the corrections. They do not rely on electric shocks to control and correct their children.

I stand by my statement. Inflecting pain is not acceptable. How do you know it is not "great amount of pain" to a dog on the lowest setting. Different people can tolerate different levels of pain, why not dogs. How do you now one shock will not traumatize the dog (have seen it). Or even more likely the dogs "drive" will allow them to ignore the pain at any setting and the behavior continues. Hard to believe with a "higher functioning brain" people can not find ways to contain and train there pets (who they chose to live with them not the other way around) without the inflecting pain.

Again...just SMH. Have your opinion and I'll have mine. You've obviously made up your mind without really understanding the proper way of using them. But if professional trainers recommend them, that has to say something - especially when they aren't being paid to do so, but base their recommendation on results.

You are correct I have made up my mind because I do know how they work - with fear and pain. I do not know which professional trainers you truly know that recommend them, unless you are buying into commercials. Every professional trainer I actually know and follow cringe when you mention these quick fix tricks and devices, they erode the relationship between you and your dog. Whatever you choose to do with your dog is up to you, however whenever I am asked I will continue to provide my opinion -- there are better ways to control and train you dog than through fear and pain.

Completely untrue. Having used one, it hasn't eroded the relationship between us and our dog in the least. The professional I referred to is someone we did our obedience classes with, learning the traditional method. He leads basic obedience and advance obedience classes for the general public, but also trains pure bred (from Germany) German Shepherds for competitions and police work. For us, the collar was only used for certain situations when traditional training didn't work. Through the combined methods of traditional training and a little bit extra help via the collar (definitely not a quick fix, but a permanent one) I have a dog who no longer counter surfs, one who will leave the cat's food alone, a dog who stays in our yard off leash (unfenced corner lot), a dog who knows to wait when unfamiliar people arrive, and a dog that loves the heck out of me and either has to have his head on my leg or completely climbs up into my lap every time I sit down or be right near me when I'm doing other things around the house.

You are entitled to you opinion as I am mine. I feel you are making overblown statements about these collar and don't understand the way they are intended to be appropriately used.

I'm done discussing this since you want to exaggerate about the collars, even though you've never used one, and you refuse to be reasonable or acknowledge that sometimes traditional methods don't work.

Have a nice day.

I am glad that the "1 professional trainer" you know who worked with you with your "1 dog" helped you. I am referring to trainers (multiple people who I know personally) who also compete in obedience and agility at both national and international levels. They deal with a wide range of dogs with a wide scope of issues. They may end up as household pets but they are well trained without the use of harsh methods.

I have one of those difficult dogs where traditional methods did not work. I never resorted to using those devices because I did my homework about them. So I do know how they work and what they are intended to do. Good trainers will come up with non-traditional methods of training when traditional do not work

I base my opinion on the experiences of those I respect and the research I have done on the topic. Your opinion is based on your experience with 1 trainer and 1 dog. As I have said before what you choose to do with your dog is up to you. When anyone asks for opinions I will give mine.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.