Honored Contributor

Re: Ebates Is Changing Its Name

[ Edited ]

@gidgetgh wrote:

Ebates is a catchy name. The new one is not.

That 15% and 20% they’ve had recently has been great. I also have three referrals. My check is coming this week.  The NEXT one is going to be a good one.

@gidgetgh   I agree.  In addition to that, Ebates describes pretty much what it is, whereas Rakuten does not.  In fact, I'm expecting noodles with that name!

Honored Contributor

I just received my check from them today.  Their imprint says "Ebates a Rakuten Company".  When I type ebates dot com in my browser, it automatically switches to rakuten dot com. 

I'll likely continue callling it Ebates, the same way I still say Marshall Field's, Comisky Park, and the Sears Tower for the Chicago landmarks, even though they've adopted new names along the way.

Respected Contributor

The name has been Rakutan for some time now. I saw commercials where (in some states) people were winning money for pronouncing the name correctly. I still see Ebates and that's what I type in the address box/search box for the site. It's the same company just a different name. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Daysdee wrote:

High percentage rebates today.  Some stores 15%.

Of course I missed out on Zulily's 15%...may have to sign up for notifications!

Honored Contributor

Just saw an ebates commercial on tv...no mention of changing the name
Esteemed Contributor

I recently saw an ebates commercial. 

I agree...Rakuten isn't catchy OR descriptive.  I don't like it.  And it will always be ebates to me.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
Just saw an ebates commercial on tv...no mention of changing the name

@lovesrecess   I hope your post doesn't mean you are implying that the name isn't being changed.   It is, in fact, they are promoting 15% off at a lot of stores on July 15% as a promo for the new name.

Honored Contributor

My computer changed from an "E" automatically to an "R" several months ago at the top of the screen.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

Mine is still an E..as long as they send me a check ,they can call themselves whatever they want

Respected Contributor

Rakuten--Ebates.... I just wish I would think to go there first before doing any online shopping.  Never do.   Of course 90% of my online purchases are with Amazon so probably doesn't matter.