Honored Contributor

Re: Easy way to get rid of FROST on windshield

[ Edited ]

This rain-X stuff is pretty amazing. It acts like Pam cooking spray for your windshield, only it's clear and invisible. Makes scraping easy peasy.

images.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I hope so @esmerelda  he was just a youngster, and seemed like a really nice boy. He didn't do it on purpose

@cherryDidn't do what on purpose...leave his car idling.  Yes, that was on purpose...to warm it up as he said.

What I don't understand, on thinking about it, is why he was ticketed in his own driveway.  If he'd backed into a car passing his driveway in the neighborhood, would the cops respond?  Or would it be a "private property" issue to be settled between the two drivers?

There was a recent "fender bender" in a parking lot nearby and the cops said "private property."  So I don't "get" the cop giving him a ticket in his own driveway.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

I have never heard of being ticketed for idling a car.  When it's cold, you can't just put the key and go.  When you are in a fast food drive-thru , you are essentially doing the same thing.

@missy1You make a good point!

I wonder if those states that have this "idling law" will add a law removing drive-thrus?.  To me it's not really any different.

Honored Contributor

@esmerelda  What I meant was ,he didn't knowingly break the law. He didn't know it was illegal to do this, and neither did I

It doesn't matter where you are, if you are idling, I guess.  I wouldn't have thought you could get a ticket for this in your own driveway. The car was locked, so they couldn't charge him with that

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@esmerelda  What I meant was ,he didn't knowingly break the law. He didn't know it was illegal to do this, and neither did I

It doesn't matter where you are, if you are idling, I guess.  I wouldn't have thought you could get a ticket for this in your own driveway. The car was locked, so they couldn't charge him with that

They can ticket you in your driveway (even if the car is still in your garage) because it's an air pollution issue (at least in NJ) and not a driving violation. It's all part of the effort to defeat global warming. (As an aside, we set a record low temp this morning. Ugh!)

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Valued Contributor

I use a spray can, sell them  all stores. CVS, Target, Walgreens, Home Depot

Honored Contributor

@Kitlynn  I don't have a garage -- wish I did.  I live in an apt.  I will have to test this out myself because where I live we have a long winter.  

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@ID2  Why all the work with a scraper just spray this on.   I have a really good scraper for ice.  I will have to see if this works on thin ice.  

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

Prestone makes a windshield de-icer spray that I use. It comes in a spray bottle and you can buy gallon refills. I.

t's great stuff. It's faster and better than scraping and costs pennies per use. 

Thst's what I use, along with the car defroster.  I have to warm my car up anyway before I take off.

Spraying homemade stuff on it is just too risky.  

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@cherry wrote:

Where I live ,a young guy actually got a ticket, for letting his car idle ,in his own driveway, to warm it up. All he was trying to do was to clean off the ice from his windshield, and rear window, and he thought it would work better, if the car was warm.

@cherry

what was the ticket for?

i have never heard of this before......

we all do this......get in the car to warm it up and turn on the defrost. i then get out to remove my frostguard.

My neighbor told me that this is the law where we live, too.

I still warm up my car, though!