Valued Contributor

Easter message from Queen Elizabeth

For the first time in her 68 year reign, Queen Elizabeth shares an Easter message:

“Many religions have festivals which celebrate light overcoming darkness. Such occasions are often accompanied by the lighting of candles. They seem to speak to every culture, and appeal to people of all faiths and of none. They are lit on birthday candles and to mark family anniversaries when we gather happily around a source of light, it unites us. As darkness falls on the Saturday before Easter Day, many Christians would normally light candles together."

“In church, one light would pass to another, spreading slowly and then more rapidly as more candles are lit. It’s a way of showing how the good news of Christ’s resurrection has been passed on from the first Easter by every generation until now. This year, Easter will be different for many of us but by keeping apart, we keep others safe."

“But Easter isn’t canceled, indeed, we need Easter as much as ever. The discovery of the risen Christ on the first Easter day gave his followers new hope and fresh purpose and we can all take heart from this. We know that coronavirus will not overcome us. As dark as death can be — particularly for those suffering with grief — light and life are greater. May the living flame of the Easter hope be a steady guide as we face the future. I wish everyone of all faiths and denominations a blessed Easter,” the Queen concluded.

I don't know how to post the video, but if you google Queen Elizabeth, you can find the 2 minute video - it's really nice.

Honored Contributor

Re: Easter message from Queen Elizabeth

I almost skipped this post.  I'm not usually interested in what the queen of England has to say. 

there is a lot of wisdom and hope in this message 

Honored Contributor

Loved her message and, since I'm not Christian, I appreciate her acknowledging all religions.

I was expecting her to suggest we light candles in our homes, given the beginning of her message! 😀
Respected Contributor

There is peace for me in her words, a calm, a renewal but most of all........comfort.  With all darkness, comes light.  Easter has an extra special meaning for me this year and it will sustain me through this dark time.

No matter your religion or your belief even for our non believers, I wish everyone the return to the world we knew in health and happiness for a renewal of the joy of life and the safety and health of all of us.

Valued Contributor

Yes, @september , I like how her message is one of hope, so appropriate for Easter.

@Pearlee  I was also glad she included all religions.

I agree @Somertime  hers were words of comfort. Light will always shine through.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]
  1. @Pearlee   I am glad she acknowledged all religions being brought up in one and halfway through converting to another I feel ‘Included’.
Respected Contributor

What a beautiful message!  I know it had to mean something encouraging to those living in the United Kingdom.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

I admire and respect the queen. As always, she strikes the right chord. That said, regardless of who is delivering them, the messages of hope, in the absence of any positive change, simply aren't hitting the mark. Words of comfort are always appreciated, but I'm not sure how comforting they prove to be if we don't start to see some kind of light at the end of the tunnel. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@dulwich, I didn't know you were converting to something else. You always have a lot going on!
Respected Contributor

@Pearlee  You know me always looking - started my conversion in Tucson AZ then moved to a small town and could not continue as no temple so stalled for a while.  Here in CA can continue but now isolated.

I did enjoy the Queen’s speech though I hope it boosts the U.K. as they’re bit of a mess at present.