Trusted Contributor

Re: Ear Ringing any relief??

I've noticed that mine gets worsen when I have excessive amount of caffeine. 

Esteemed Contributor

Avoid excessive loud noise.  It's my understanding that often, the little hairs (cilia) in the ear get "mowed down" by a bombardment of aural stimulation.  We live in an increasingly noisy world.

Ironically, then the brain starts to try and fill a void, which was our hearing, (if we were born lucky), as it would be "naturally".  Ringing.  Whether it is a filter or a replacement for something lost, is not clear.   It looks to me like the chicken/egg scenario.  Hearing loss is not unheard of with age, that's for sure!

Mine comes and goes.  I don't bother about it anymore.  To me it is just a part of life, now.  Mine is worse on the left side, which is where I am when driving with the window down, and blasting music as well.

I have had help by having ear wax removed, when it has built up and compacted.  Again, was the ear wax there to help and protect . . .

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

My dh suffers from tinnitus. His doctor told him not to fall for any of the "cures". There is no pill or anything to help it. You just have to live with it unfortunately.

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

Go to this forum:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/

Lots of good information and success stories.  Most (including me) have tried the pills and the general consensus is they are completely useless.

I signed up for a trial through the University of Michigan on a very promising treatment.  It hasn't started yet, but I am keeping my fingers crossed there may be some ray of hope.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Does your friend have hearing issues besides the ringing?  It may be a good idea for her to have an appointment with an audiologist, to make sure.  I've dealt this tinnitus for years.  Wearing hearing aids has been the best help for me.  I don't have the ringing during the day when they're in.  At night when the aids come out, it's more noticible along with a rushing sound of blood pumping through my ears.  I used to require the tv be on, in order for me to fall asleep and DH would have to turn it off.  I'm doing much better now.  I can watch a little tv while I settle in and then turn it off myself and fall asleep. Citrus Bioflavanoids are supposed to help with the ringing, but I'm not convinced.  If your friend has no other earing problems a white noise machine will help to mask the ringing.  She can also try some distraction techniques like singing in her mind or recalling a pleasant experience.

Honored Contributor

Your friend never heard of doctors ?????   

Honored Contributor

I had a spell of this ear ringing after getting over a cold. After it continued I saw a doctor and had my hearing tested.

A few weeks later, it subsided. I'm guessing it was just related to that cold. But I can now understand the absolute misery involved.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

My ears ring occasionally, but it is nothing serious IMO, I just sit still while ringing, and it soon stops!  I think mine is part of my sinus problems!  I have never talked to a Dr. about it, because it is not that big of a deal, but something that lingers a long time, I would!

Esteemed Contributor

I've noticed recently that I don't have ringing, but it sounds like I'm standing in a meadow at night...the little bug sounds...not big cricket noises.

I considered seeing an ENT; but my chiropractor is wonderful and I have an appointment with her next week.  I'll talk to her about it first.  She's already relieved just about all of my carpal tunnel symptoms.  

Good to know about capsules.  I won't waste my time or money on those.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

Sadly, there is no cure for this.   It angers me to see ads or commercials about meds to take that will cure it.   It's not true.

I have tinnitis and it's pretty much a 24/7 thing.  Some days mine is so loud that I want to shove a pencil through my head.   It's like you never have any peace.

The white noise thing is interesting.  The only time I don't hear mine is at a concert or if I put headphones on at home and crank music up really loud.  Clearly, that's not helping anything but at least I can just listen to the music and not hear the other sounds.

One frustrating thing is that it will crank up even higher if there is a sudden, loud, and/or shrill sound.  Then it goes into overdrive.  Or, one time my husband kissed me on the side of my face right by my ear.   Instantly it got so loud.   It was just that sound really close to my ear.

You do have to get used it so you don't go crazy.  Sometimes I don't think about it and sometimes I do so I guess you never totally get used to it.

I'm sorry to anybody who has to deal with this.  Sometimes I just want peace!  Smiley Sad