Honored Contributor

Re: Dream of free and open Internet dying, lawyer says

Here's an excellent primer on net neutrality:

What Is Net Neutrality?

I am in favor of the concept.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

What Is Net Neutrality?

@suzyQ3, thanks so much for posting this article.

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In
Trusted Contributor

NN will destroy the Internet as we know it, but we can't say we weren't warned as the politicians were quite open about their plans.  Fundamental change and all that rot.

America created the Internet, and now we're not only planning on giving countries like Russia and China worldwide censorship abilities, we'll be paying more only to have the industry back off on R&D.  There are always those dreaded unintended consequences.

As Hillary said, NN is a foot in the door.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Esteemed Contributor

@blahblahvampemerblah wrote:

NN will destroy the Internet as we know it, but we can't say we weren't warned as the politicians were quite open about their plans.  Fundamental change and all that rot.

America created the Internet, and now we're not only planning on giving countries like Russia and China worldwide censorship abilities, we'll be paying more only to have the industry back off on R&D.  There are always those dreaded unintended consequences.

As Hillary said, NN is a foot in the door.

What are you talking about? Net Neutrality is about all content and sites treated equally as opposed to letting the large entities dominate space and time on the internet and regulate what we choose to see.

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you, RDG, for setting the record straight with this post !
Honored Contributor

The overwhelming volume of advertising hasn't helped either.  I remember when surfing the net used to be fun, reasonably fast and uncomplicated. It's now all become so sophisticated. The net has gone mainstream and as a result it's not what it used to be in so many ways.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

suzyQ3 wrote:

What Is Net Neutrality?

Thanks for the article explaining what it

really is.  I'm in favor as well!

😊

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shorty2U wrote:

Its not free now. I have proof of outrageous internet prices on my cable bill...lol..

I do agree it is becoming more and more unsafe. Techies cant keep up it seems.

I can say this, if the internet went away I wouldnt care. Maybe then businesses and people would get back to communicating in person like the good ole days.

For many of us - of diverse ages and circumstances - it's one of very few links to the rest of the world.

Especially those without their own transportation.

So, at least for me (& any pet companion I'm blessed with Cat Happy), it's extremely life-enriching and literally lifesaving.

In physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual ways.

People do still communicate in-person and over the phone, it's just not as prevalent as decades ago.

We just have to make the effort, if we wish.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@onewhiteSparrow wrote:

In the beginning of the internet using Prodigy our bill every  month was $400-600 a month.   It was for most everyone that used the service.   It cost so much a minute.   A minute folks!   Everyone used their real names.   

Then along came AOL, and their service cost was far less.  Everyone started to use them.  I saw how the internet went down ward with all kinds of hate all over the place and all kinds of trash words written to each other.  Because everyone was hidden using a nic name.  

Then along came Microsoft and the cost got better but still people was hidden using a nic name.   And more low life types came on board.  We all know this.  It was cheap intertainment for many just sitting alone at home.  For the young and old.

Maybe the cost of using the internet went down, but the quality of the internet went low down;  riding on the low road.  Shame.

Not sure how the next stage of the internet will be but it sure can't get worse .....I hope.  Oh heck... I bet it goes lower.  

In the very beginning, before Prodigy became popular, it cost me $10 a month to call into a chat room and message service that some guy started by connecting a modem bank to some computers in his garage. I never used my real name and ChynnaBlue has been one of my online handles since 1986. If I wanted to use a message board with no chat room, it was free. And there were ALWAYS low-lifes. I had the phone number of the FBI written on my external 1200 baud modem because some guy who asked every girl I knew online if we had long hair and if he could brush it and would ask us for our phone numbers. And I'm only giving him as an example because I can't repeat the things other creepers said on this forum.

But it was also incredible simple, with no graphical interface, no pictures, no shopping,         no cat videos, and you had to use a slow dial up modem to get to it. Grahpics were not much beyond this:

It was NOT better quality back then. So, I'm fine paying my ISP to provide more because the early internet wasn't very useful more more than chatting and playing simple games. 

The real issue for me is the fact that big companies want to charge other companies more money for a faster lane for their content. That means that companies that steam content will need to raise their prices or start charging fees to watch cat videos or read articles. It means music downloads will cost more and startup companies will have a harder time establishing a business because they can't afford to pay the fees the way Netflix or Amazon might. And the only people who will win that battle are the people trying to push these bills through Congress, Comcast, Verizon, Time Warner, etc.

a2791d6652da134e290b7f40031f79635750e44ffdef720a7c8ff66720ef1ea5.jpg (320×213)

Regular Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

@Shorty2U wrote:

Its not free now. I have proof of outrageous internet prices on my cable bill...lol..

I do agree it is becoming more and more unsafe. Techies cant keep up it seems.

I can say this, if the internet went away I wouldnt care. Maybe then businesses and people would get back to communicating in person like the good ole days.

For many of us - of diverse ages and circumstances - it's one of very few links to the rest of the world.

Especially those without their own transportation.

So, at least for me (& any pet companion I'm blessed with Cat Happy), it's extremely life-enriching and literally lifesaving.

In physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual ways.

People do still communicate in-person and over the phone, it's just not as prevalent as decades ago.

We just have to make the effort, if we wish.

I agree feline groovy.:-)