Trusted Contributor

I caught a few minutes of The Dr. Phil show as I sat down to pay bills and he was talking about donating to the Red Cross for Hurricane Harvey victims. Well, I hope this doesn't sound unappreciative, but when he said he was donating $25,000. I about fell on the floor. Yes, that's very generous of him, but with all of the money he's made these past 16 years that his show has been on, not to mention the books he's written, I guess I thought his donation would have been much bigger. I know it's not my place to judge, but I truly thought his generosity was much bigger than that. 

But, he is donating and for that I know many will be helped.

Esteemed Contributor

He can just claim it as a deduction on his taxes....I doubt he will miss it...

Honored Contributor

@grandma petes I agree with you.  Compared to everything he's 'involved' in (money makers) it doesn't sound like much.  There are working class people that probably give maybe 1/2 that amount and they are TV stars like he is.

You'll have people say, "Well he probably gives to other charities".  That might be true but if that's the case he might say that because otherwise it makes him look cheap.  Just saying.....

I heard other celebrities tell how much they've given (it's way more) but even they say they also have other charities they give to.  I don't understand why they have to say how much it is either because some people might think..."I don't have much to give so that makes me look bad"....you know what I mean?

Honored Contributor

@grandma petes wrote:

I caught a few minutes of The Dr. Phil show as I sat down to pay bills and he was talking about donating to the Red Cross for Hurricane Harvey victims. Well, I hope this doesn't sound unappreciative, but when he said he was donating $25,000. I about fell on the floor. Yes, that's very generous of him, but with all of the money he's made these past 16 years that his show has been on, not to mention the books he's written, I guess I thought his donation would have been much bigger. I know it's not my place to judge, but I truly thought his generosity was much bigger than that. 

@grandma petes  So did Justin Bieber.  Woman LOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Maybe the man is living paycheck to paycheck...😏

Better than nothing I guess.

Respected Contributor

@grandma petes wrote:

You speak with a forked tongue.

You didn't mention all the help and counseling he has donated to people on his show which has added up to millions.  Yeah maybe it didn't come out of his pocket directly, but look at how much it costs to send someone to those centers.

Contributor

When you also take into consideration that he is from Texas it does sound low. I don't know how much of his own money he gave but JJ Watt has raised 22 million.

Respected Contributor

It may be $25,000 for this charity, but you do not know how much he donates to other charities. Why do people assume they know everything about what people do in life? Maybe he donates millions throughout the year, maybe he doesn't, not anyone's business.

Super Contributor

I was shocked too.  I thought I heard on the news yesterday that he made the Forbes list for highest paid tv celebrity (something like that).  I heard tonight that J-Lo and A-Rod gave $25,000 each, also Kevin Hart and Steve Harvey. I'm sure there are more that I can't think of.   These celebrities have millions, a lot of millions, it doesn't sound too generous when they've been blessed and are mostly earned their incomes from the public. 

Honored Contributor

I am more upset he donated to the Red Cross.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**