Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

I don't know how philanthropic Dr. Phil is but I do know he has been sued for slapping his name on ventures that aren't as they are advertised to make a buck.  On the flip side, I am tired of people being dogged out for their contributions as I often wonder how many other foundations they may be donating to on a regular basis plus I also wonder how many of them actually cut the check in the long run.  Being that Dr. Phil is from TX I guess I would have thought he could up the ante a bit but as long as his check clears and actually goes to a charity I am fine with it.

@momtochloe

I am getting tired of hearing people getting called out for how much they gave.

About as tired of people who say they're giving and then they never seem to.

I completely agree @QueenDanceALot that's why it is such a joy to watch JJ Watts and his charitable efforts and God bless each and every person that donated to his more than worthy cause . . . Heart

Honored Contributor

Most of these comments made me sad. I think he gave a very generous donation, and it's not like he gives to just one charity. Thank you is my only comment.

Valued Contributor

It was kind of him to make a donation. Period.

Honored Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

You speak with a forked tongue.

You didn't mention all the help and counseling he has donated to people on his show which has added up to millions.  Yeah maybe it didn't come out of his pocket directly, but look at how much it costs to send someone to those centers.

Thank you, this donation 'shaming' is disgraceful.

Honored Contributor

@croemer wrote:

I am more upset he donated to the Red Cross.

@croemer  Keep eating those burgers!!!!!  

Whataburger has just pledged $2 million to Hurricane Harvey relief. In an official press release, the burger chain stated that they’ve “been humbled by the work of our Family Members and neighbors in recent days” to help Houston recover.

The gift comes straight from the Whataburger Foundation, which gathers donations from the company itself, as well as from employees, suppliers and franchisees. All proceeds from the foundation’s generous gift will go towards the emergency assistance of those affected by this disaster.

This includes bringing fresh food, water and clothing to the areas of Texas affected by horrible flooding brought about by Harvey. The foundation is also bringing medical and monetary assistance to the people of Houston through their $2 million pledge. Additionally, Whataburger is donating an additional $150,000 to the Red Cross and $500,000 to local food banks for areas in the most need. To top it off, they’re developing Family Member Support Centers in both Corpus Christi and Houston. This will help greatly in getting displaced families get back on both feet.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

I'm truly sorry for offending anyone here. My thread was just an honest comment. I wasn't trying to shame anyone. I did say that I'm sure his donation will help many. Never for a minute did I think I would cause such an uproar. I've always enjoyed reading the threads on here. I've been on the board for many years, but only posted once in awhile. I guess I will have to think long and hard about posting an opinion in the future.

I do appreciate all of the kind posts, and yes, I appreciate the replies from those that felt I was out of line. I've learned a lot.

Honored Contributor

@grandma petes wrote:

I'm truly sorry for offending anyone here. My thread was just an honest comment. I wasn't trying to shame anyone. I did say that I'm sure his donation will help many. Never for a minute did I think I would cause such an uproar. I've always enjoyed reading the threads on here. I've been on the board for many years, but only posted once in awhile. I guess I will have to think long and hard about posting an opinion in the future.

I do appreciate all of the kind posts, and yes, I appreciate the replies from those that felt I was out of line. I've learned a lot.

@grandma petes  Meh.  No big deal.  Dr. Phil is not the most popular person but he is also "all that" with others.

I personally do not care for him but he does have the Dr. Phil Foundation which does seem to do good for children.

Honored Contributor

And the president of HEB has pledged $5M:

https://twitter.com/JJWatt/status/905469735235670016

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

And the president of HEB has pledged $5M:

https://twitter.com/JJWatt/status/905469735235670016

@momtochloe  I didn't open the link but the $5 million comes from Butt himself.

eta:  For those who do not know-that is the founder and CEO's real name so no reporting as inappropriate, please.

Honored Contributor

Nah, keep posting, @grandma petes.