Esteemed Contributor

Re: Donner Pass

[ Edited ]

@songbird 

I read a book about this, but forget the name.  Just Googled it and the one I read was "Alive."

Any plane crash is horrfying, but stories like this are impossible to forget.

I avoid reading about them now.  

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

There was a documentary movie about them. The title is:

"Dead of Winter: The Donner Party" (2015)

I saw it on The Weather Channel when it came out. It's worth watching.

I am quite sure I saw a portion of that movie. And yes it was well worth watching. I was sorry that I did not see the entire movie.

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@songbird 

I read a book about this, but forget the name.  Just Googled it and the one I read was "Alive."

Any plane crash is horribying, but stories like this are impossible to forget.

I avoid reading about them now.  

I saw a movie called Alive. It's a similar story that took place in the Andes mountains in South America.

Honored Contributor

Re: Donner Pass

[ Edited ]

When I was a young girl, my Mother remarried and moved to Truckee CA.... near Donner Pass, ...I learned about the Donner Pass story when there when visiting her. 

such a very sad story...can not imagine what suffering they endured to the point of eating their friends.....

and there was also murder involved with the cannibalism....🙁

Esteemed Contributor

Everytime I drove over Donner Pass I could only think of the brave men and women who traveled  by wagon and foot through the mountains. I don't know how they did it. It was a bit scary the first time I drove it. 

Of the 81 pioneers who began the Donner Party's horrific winter in the Sierra Nevada, only 45 managed to walk out alive.