Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone use Walmart grocery delivery?

I wouldn't do it unless I had no other way to get food.

I sure liked  shopping before this stuff came into vogue. Now, we have to watch out for big tall carts, rude cart pushers, they're always in the way.

Thanks covid !

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@northiie57 wrote:

First order success! Smiley Happy  Came on time and they followed delivery instructions, which is so important as I am disabled and live in my studio apartment behind the kids house.  Bags were not super heavy!  They did not charge me for bags like insta cart does and heavy fees.  There is no tipping for my local walmart.  I am very happy on the whole transaction.  I am on the 30 day trail of the membership and I will continue as it has other perks besides free delivery.  I am saving way more this way.  I hope they keep up the good work Smiley Happy  Insta cart is used by our local grocery store and they are higher priced and out of stock of items that are on sale, I just got sick of it and not being able to get them.  It's all good!

@northiie57 @Foxxee 

Instacart doesnt charge me for bags........

The way Instacart charges for groceries here is a bit unique. Our main grocery chain is HEB. And HEB varies their grocery prices based on store location, if an HEB is near a competitor (Walmart, Super Target, Costco) they charge less, if there is no competition around that store charges more----so what Instacart does is average out the prices and charges that amount.....But with inflation even if shop yourself in store prices have gone way up.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

We have ordered online from Walmart and picked them up at a certain time without having to get out of the car. Very pleased.

However we've never had them delivered. we may have to one day but not now.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@northiie57 @Foxxee 

The way Instacart charges for groceries here is a bit unique. Our main grocery chain is HEB. And HEB varies their grocery prices based on store location, if an HEB is near a competitor (Walmart, Super Target, Costco) they charge less, if there is no competition around that store charges more----so what Instacart does is average out the prices and charges that amount.....But with inflation even if shop yourself in store prices have gone way up.

@Spurt 

Glad to hear Instacart is working out for you. 

The store I was using, now using Instacart, in my area is only 2 1/2 miles from Walmart. 

Yes, inflation is causing prices to rise, but why did prices go so high overnight when they started using Instacart 14 months ago when inflation wasn't nearly as high as it is now?    

Increases might not all be caused by Instacart, but it sure was funny how they went up at the time they began using this company.  Other grocery store prices did not increase.  Coincidences do occur, but I'm skeptical.  

Frequent Contributor

@northiie57   I have been using Walmart grocery delivery for over a year.   I always used to do store pick up but after hip replacement surgery I couldn't get the groceries from the car to the kitchen.   I liked it so much I have continued and do the majority of my grocery shopping this way.   You get used to their brands and I have even discovered items I didn't know they carried.   It's nice they keep a running list of your items so very easy to reorder items you use regularly.   The other handy thing is it doesn't just apply to groceries.   When doing my order if I need batteries, linens or lawn waste bags I just add it and it gets delivered.   In our area after your delivery and it is satisfactory, you rate your driver and assign a tip (all of which goes to the driver).    You can designate how much you want it to be.   I have even used it when visiting family out of town.   Just change the store and add their address and it gets delivered!   Also as a Walmart+ subscriber you get free or reduced shipping on many items that might not be in the store.   I have very much enjoyed the service as grocery shopping is one of my least favorite things to do. 😁

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have not used Wal-Mart grocery delivery and I am not a member of Wal-Mart plus BUT it must be very popular in my area as several of my neighbours use their grocery delivey. And it has become a benefit for me as recently every order that I have placed with Wal-Mart for non grocery items to be shipped to me was delivered same day or next day to my door by a delivery driver. They ring my bell and leave the items in Wal-Mart bags on my porch. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Foxxee wrote:

@northiie57 @Foxxee 

@Spurt 

Glad to hear Instacart is working out for you. 

The store I was using, now using Instacart, in my area is only 2 1/2 miles from Walmart. 

Yes, inflation is causing prices to rise, but why did prices go so high overnight when they started using Instacart 14 months ago when inflation wasn't nearly as high as it is now?    

Increases might not all be caused by Instacart, but it sure was funny how they went up at the time they began using this company.  Other grocery store prices did not increase.  Coincidences do occur, but I'm skeptical.  

@Foxxee 

I'm sure something has to give for Instacart to offer this service, but I think It also depends on the grocery store, each store makes its own contract with Instacart and some grocery stores saw a way to increase their profits and they saw a way to blame it all on Instacart and yes the Instacart shoppers pay .....

Our situation in our city is somewhat unique---although HEB has competition from Walmart, Super Target, Costcos, Whole Foods, Trader Joes etc, but HEB has a BIG ADVANTAGE a few years ago what they also did was drive way all the  grocery store chains especially the national ones by under cutting them in prices and took some losses for several years, but it all paid off ---now there's no more Piggly Wiggly, Albertson's, Krogers, Handy Andy, Centero Market...(although Krogers is trying to make a come back)....BUT HEB RULES IN SOUTH TEXAS!!!!  Yes, they do a lot for the community, but we are at their mercy because of the lack of REAL competition.....People dont like Walmart's or Super Target's produce or meat selection..Also the long lines and few checkers, it's mostly self-service with big wait times, so competition is now minimal....And with Costco some people dont want to pay that membership fee.....so HEB can basically do what they want....averaging prices between the high priced stores and lower priced stores isnt really fair either to Instacart Shoppers but its still worth it to me........

And HEB didnt start increasing prices right away either, I think they wanted to see how many people would use Instacart first.......And whats interesting is HEB also offers their own FREE delivery but it has to be under 25 items...they also do curbside---but friends that use HEBs services say there have been LOTS of mistakes on their orders....While with Instacart there were growing pains at the beginning, now it all runs smoothly and shoppers told me they use the Shopper Evaluation seriously and mistakes arent really allowed if they want to remain employed, but Instacart also adds their own bonus to the Shoppers in addition to their regular wages...and there's also customer tips too....Mostly college kids take this job....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

I have two accounts, one with Walmart delivery ($98/year) and Insta-Cart ($99/year).  I used Insta-cart for a delivery of lemons, limes, etc., making up a order for free delivery from Sam's Club.  I over ordered and returned items the next day in person.   Imagine my shock when I found out that I paid almost double for items that I bought for delivery.  I thought the clerk was wrong but she was not.  Walmart delivery charges are the same price as they are in the store and I always use the online tipping option.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I started with Amazon Fresh (then as it was called)  I had their delivery service for about 2 years.  When the pandemic started, I could no longer use it, as so many people discovered it and started ordering. I then switched to Instacart.  I'm satisfied with them.  I've been using that for about 17 months now.  I don't  buy from Walmart.  That includes any food.  The only time I go there is for prescriptions. 

Instacart is great!  I order using my smartphone.  I'm able to chat with my shopper in case something I want is not there. I order once a week.  During the the height of the pandemic (like Amazon Fresh) I had problems with them. It seemed like half of  the U.S. was ordering through them.  Since then it runs like clock work.  The best thing about them, was so many different stores use them.  I was able to get Wegmans (a store I wanted to shop but so far away)  That's the best thing about instacart.  Many stores to choose form.  If you count Amazon Fresh (back in 2018) I have not step foot in a supermarket in years.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm a member, which is 98. a year fee. I've been satisfied with their delivery. I get delivery in a couple of hours. I've had substitutes, and I'm surprised how well and closely they do it. I tip them well, usually $7. or $10 for delivery. By the time you consider gas getting there, your time and effort, and delivery, it's all well "worth" the service. 

My grocers close by are Publix and Kroger. Honestly, their prices are so high, it's all a cost savings.