Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone know of a less expensive alternative to World's Best Cat Litter?

[ Edited ]

@AlleyCat wrote:

I am currently looking for a natural litter that is more cost effective. I have 6 cats and that's a lot of litter boxes. For me, World's Best has been the best litter (Swheat Scoop was just too dusty) but World's best is so expensive when I have so many litter boxes. I was cleaning them completely out once a month and that was working until one of my furbabies decided that was not enough. So the vet suggested cleaning them completely out 2 times a month. That is going to equate to about 120.00 a month to buy 4 bags of World's Best unless I can find something to either mix in with World's Best or something just as good as World's Best. By the way, I am also using Equine Fresh pine bedding as litter in a couple of boxes but only certain cats will use the pine pellets. I am hoping this summer when I have some time to see if they will all switch over to the Equine Fresh as it is only like 6.00 for 40 lbs. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Alley Cat, I hope you see this ............   if you do a search on ebay for cat litter coupons, there's an auction selling 5 coupons for Worlds Best for $20.  

Each coupon is for a free bag of the 7 or 8 pound size litter, expiring 12-31-15.

Definitely worth the $4 per coupon for a free bag.   I just bought a set.

Tink

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does anyone know of a less expensive alternative to World's Best Cat Litter?

I like this formula of Tidy Cats and I just paid $7 for 20lb

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

Finding the right kitty litter really is a trial and error process, isn't it?   

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use Blue Naturally Fresh Quick-Clumping Natural Cat Litter. It's walnut based - no chemicals or toxins. I buy it at Petsmart. I used to use World's Best, but I found it was dusty and didn't care for the smell. I don't notice a smell with the Blue, but I do scoop the litter box several times a day.

Honored Contributor

@italia8140 wrote:

I use Blue Naturally Fresh Quick-Clumping Natural Cat Litter. It's walnut based - no chemicals or toxins. I buy it at Petsmart. I used to use World's Best, but I found it was dusty and didn't care for the smell. I don't notice a smell with the Blue, but I do scoop the litter box several times a day.

What is it made of?

Honored Contributor

Six cats is a lot to handle so you have a full time job.  i personally use the old clay litter by Tidy Cat because I am in an apt. and I use the scooper daily and flush.  It's hard to believe how high priced litter is.  Hopefully, someone can help you out with names of natural litters.  Good lluck.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

Six cats is a lot to handle so you have a full time job.  i personally use the old clay litter by Tidy Cat because I am in an apt. and I use the scooper daily and flush.  It's hard to believe how high priced litter is.  Hopefully, someone can help you out with names of natural litters.  Good lluck.

I keep that as backup litter .... but you're right, it's getting more expensive.   If I find my brand on sale, I buy it whether I need it or not!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use a mixture of World's Best (original--I don't like the multi-cat so well) with Cat Attract, which does not have an odor but uses some herbs guaranteed to guide cats to the litter boxes.

The mixture works fine, but both are expensive. I scoop several times a day and refresh as the 3 boxes become scantier with much scooping.  I only thoroughly replace every three weeks or so.  I have two cats.  My sweet boy cat is prone to sensitive stomach that gives him diarrhea and my sweet little lady cat had a looong rap sheet from her rescue group for ignoring the litterbox entirely.  So the World's Best, which controls odor very well to cover Percy's poop, and the Cat Attract, which they both like but Claire may need---no out of the box episodes in years--are expensive but for me worth it. 

I get 5$ off coupons from Pet Supermarket and apply them to the largest (32lb?) size bag of World's Best, which lasts a few months.  Cat Attract now comes in a large square box but weighs much less, and I just use that as a top layer.  So both last about as long.  Pet Supermarket, like most of those pet chain stores, has a loyalty program (an id card) for small additional saving. I always use both the card and the coupon for their litter.  Their food is veterinarian-prescribed and even more expensive--but Percy's stomach stays healthy on it, so that saves in other ways as well as making his coat shine and his eyes bright.

My late great cat Jay Gatsby died of lung cancer, perhaps caused or advanced by cat litter containing silica, so I would advise people to stay away from litters containing that ingredient, which can irritate lungs.

ETA:  My icon is a picture of Clairey.

Honored Contributor

Interesting ...

Respected Contributor

We are using this Tidey Cats one now, Our problem is dust, the cats are very good about using their litter boxes. This one seems pretty good, and we sure have tried a lot of them. We get this at WM, $7.78 a jug, with all our cats, it still is expensive when  you consider how much comes out with the scooping. We scoop at least three times a day, more if necessary, and change it completely out every three weeks.

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".