Super Contributor

Does anyone know of a less expensive alternative to World's Best Cat Litter?

I am currently looking for a natural litter that is more cost effective. I have 6 cats and that's a lot of litter boxes. For me, World's Best has been the best litter (Swheat Scoop was just too dusty) but World's best is so expensive when I have so many litter boxes. I was cleaning them completely out once a month and that was working until one of my furbabies decided that was not enough. So the vet suggested cleaning them completely out 2 times a month. That is going to equate to about 120.00 a month to buy 4 bags of World's Best unless I can find something to either mix in with World's Best or something just as good as World's Best. By the way, I am also using Equine Fresh pine bedding as litter in a couple of boxes but only certain cats will use the pine pellets. I am hoping this summer when I have some time to see if they will all switch over to the Equine Fresh as it is only like 6.00 for 40 lbs. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Re: Does anyone know of a less expensive alternative to World's Best Cat Litter?

I love World's Best. My favorite is the one in the black and green bag but can only find the one in the black and red bag now. I only have two cats currently so the cost isn't a factor (much anyway). It does such a good job of clumping that I only change is completely about once a month and before I do that, I let it get pretty low so don't waste much. I've tried MANY litters over the years. Some have been ok but I am totally impressed with World's Best. I will be watching other responses because some of those who post on this forum are very knowledgeable and can hopefully give us both good ideas. Good luck!

Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone know of a less expensive alternative to World's Best Cat Litter?

I am interested in ideas from others too. I only have 3 but that new little one is a pooing machine LOL!

Contributor

I use wood (pine) burning pellets that I buy at a farm store. It is $4.99 for a 40 pound bag and does not have the "treatment" that Feline Pine has added to their litter. My cats seem to like the smell and texture of this over Feline Pine or the store brand of pine litter. It seems to last longer to me, as well.

I have a multi-cat household with currently nine cats and I foster.

Hope this helps!

Honored Contributor

Oh gees ............ familiar story! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

I've been testing different kitty litters ever since I got my little Tuxedo Kitten in September ..... I've tried many, probably about 12-15 types, and right now I'm mixing two together because I still can't find one litter that I like ....

I like the crystals as they do a heck of a job and last a long time, but some of them are rather pricey! The best (and most reasonably priced) is Mimi Litter ..... a 4 lb bag at Walmart is about $4. I also use Arm and Hammer Essentials, which is a natural clumping litter made of 100% corn fibers ........ the two together have a soft footing and little pieces which fall through the scoop slots very easily.

I also add a couple scoops of baking soda and litter box smells are virtually non existent! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Hope this helps.

Tink

Honored Contributor

Tidy cat here, non clumping.
Honored Contributor

On 2/5/2015 AlleyCat said:

I am currently looking for a natural litter that is more cost effective. I have 6 cats and that's a lot of litter boxes. For me, World's Best has been the best litter (Swheat Scoop was just too dusty) but World's best is so expensive when I have so many litter boxes. I was cleaning them completely out once a month and that was working until one of my furbabies decided that was not enough. So the vet suggested cleaning them completely out 2 times a month. That is going to equate to about 120.00 a month to buy 4 bags of World's Best unless I can find something to either mix in with World's Best or something just as good as World's Best. By the way, I am also using Equine Fresh pine bedding as litter in a couple of boxes but only certain cats will use the pine pellets. I am hoping this summer when I have some time to see if they will all switch over to the Equine Fresh as it is only like 6.00 for 40 lbs. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Forgot to ask ..... what material is World's Best made of? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Super Contributor

Forgot to ask ..... what material is World's Best made of?

World's Best is made of corn. I recently purchased the Arm & Hammer Essentials (also corn based) to mix in and make the World's Best last longer but the Arm & Hammer has such a strong fragrance to it. I don't know if I can take that smell.

Honored Contributor

I have 5 cats right now and use the Tidy Cat Breeze box with the pellets and pads. Cheaper, cleaner, much less smell, less trash, easier to deal with and no tracking plus it works great with my long hairs because there is no clumping to stick to their fur. I have 7 boxes right now. Once a week I change the pads of the boxes that need it ( my cats tend to prefer certain boxes for peeing) and then just scoop the poop as needed. I don't replace the pellets monthly they suggest, I just add more as needed. I've been using this system for a few years now and never want to go back to clumping litter.

They sell the pads and pellets much cheaper on Amazon than in stores.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

On 2/6/2015 AlleyCat said:
<br />

Forgot to ask ..... what material is World's Best made of? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

World's Best is made of corn. I recently purchased the Arm & Hammer Essentials (also corn based) to mix in and make the World's Best last longer but the Arm & Hammer has such a strong fragrance to it. I don't know if I can take that smell.

I don't know where you have the boxes placed, but I'm using 1/2 Essentials (scented) and 1/2 Mimi Crystals (no scent) mixed together, and I can barely smell anything when I pass by the litter box. {#emotions_dlg.unsure}