Honored Contributor

Does Anyone Feel Isolated And Lonely

My mother passed away about two months ago. She was elderly, I took care of her, I have no regrets in doing so. I didn't have a chance to cultivate friendships because my mother took up all my time. I was already depressed from my mother's death, then the coronavirus hit right after, I feel so lonely. When you live alone, there are long stretches of time when you don't hear the sound of your own voice. I have an older sister who lives 10 minutes away from me, I haven't seen her in about a month or so (we aren't that close). I feel like life as we know it will never be the same. For those of you that do live alone how are you handling everything?

Honored Contributor

Re: Does Anyone Feel Isolated And Lonely

So very sorry about your mom.  You got hit with a double whammy.  Yes, I feel isolated and lonely even though I have a husband.  But not being able to socialize outside of home is boring, lonely and frustrating.  There are thousands of people all over the world going through this, and I am sure  they feel the same way.

All I can say is hang in there, this will pass, may take a while but we will get through it.

Again, sorry for your loss.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 wrote:

My mother passed away about two months ago. She was elderly, I took care of her, I have no regrets in doing so. I didn't have a chance to cultivate friendships because my mother took up all my time. I was already depressed from my mother's death, then the coronavirus hit right after, I feel so lonely. When you live alone, there are long stretches of time when you don't hear the sound of your own voice. I have an older sister who lives 10 minutes away from me, I haven't seen her in about a month or so (we aren't that close). I feel like life as we know it will never be the same. For those of you that do live alone how are you handling everything?

@Jordan2  - one word. MUSIC! I have axs  tv on so often, especialy now there are many livefeeds of concerts and other  events. I love  Broadway  and have found many on tv these days too. I  watched Springsteen on Broadway [Netflix] twice this weekend,  wow is that  good!

I'm so sorry for your loss...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, very much, i spend alot of time alone, with my two dogs, but not going out to grocery store, things like that,and my son and family not hearing from them, in same town ,all is really tough.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Get an Amazon Echo or Dot (i.e. Alexa).  She may not be as fulfilling as a real person, but I think it's kind of fun to interact with her.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2I am so sorry for your loss.  

Although my own mother died many, many uears ago, even though I was working among many people and friends, too, I remember the months afterwards as lonely times.

And I didn't live with my mother, didn't do physical care for her even  -  my job had us 6 hours apart.  That makes me think your loneliness has even more layers, more depth than mine.

Please know, scar tissue forms even for emotional wounds, but it forms in its own time.  It's especially difficult right now because many of the usual avenues you could take to help the process along don't seem to fit into the CDC recommendations to isolate yourself at home.

I don't have specific "shoulds" for you - nothing other than assuring you for now the loneliness you're feeling is not usual especially for those of us who don't have others at home distracting us from our grief.

Honored Contributor

Yes, there are undoubtedly many if us living alone who feel isolated at this time.  The thing that keeps me sane are my two dogs,. as pets are wonderful companions.  Seems as most of my friends have died or moved away but I do talk to my sister in Pennsylvania several times a week and email with other friends.  These boards are wonderful for staying in touch with humanity.  I stay busy with my house and yard, take my dogs on walks where I often find someone to chat with (at a distance of course).

In your case, I'd be giving a lot of thought to what I was going to do when this ordeal is over to get out and make some friends and become engaged in some activities you enjoy.  Don't overlook your local senior or community centers.  Plot your future strategy.  Get outside and take a walk in the park or neighborhood.  In most parts of the country, the weather is beautiful right now.

This pandemic will end, hopefully sooner than later so just hang in there and keep yourself entertained until it goes away.  No you are not alone.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Yes, there are undoubtedly many if us living alone who feel isolated at this time.  The thing that keeps me sane are my two dogs,. as pets are wonderful companions.  Seems as most of my friends have died or moved away but I do talk to my sister in Pennsylvania several times a week and email with other friends.  These boards are wonderful for staying in touch with humanity.  I stay busy with my house and yard, take my dogs on walks where I often find someone to chat with (at a distance of course).

In your case, I'd be giving a lot of thought to what I was going to do when this ordeal is over to get out and make some friends and become engaged in some activities you enjoy.  Don't overlook your local senior or community centers.  Plot your future strategy.  Get outside and take a walk in the park or neighborhood.  In most parts of the country, the weather is beautiful right now.

This pandemic will end, hopefully sooner than later so just hang in there and keep yourself entertained until it goes away

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 -

Aw, I'm so glad you reached out because I'm sure there are so many of us living alone and feeling what you are feeling.

I was going to say too, music is such a wonderful companion if you have a computer, go on youtube and type in your favorite songs.You'll end up spending hours there (don't know if that's good or bad lol!).Or a cd player (yes I still have oneSmiley Happy

If you have a favorite book read it again.Woman LOL

Write a letter or email or text often!

You can view facebook sermons or people even if you are not on facebook. Many have public pages.

(you just click on not interested for now when it pops up to sign up)

Watch tv to your hearts content.

Call people.

Come hereSmiley Happy

And something that never fails to make me laugh-

A friend said to me as she lived alone

"Well, now I think I will sit in this chair.

And now perhaps I will now go sit in my other chair.

I will now brush my teeth!"😂😭 

It's pitiful but funny.

I sometimes think when it is so quiet, where in the world is the rest of the world?!

And yes, my cat helped but she is gone and I wish so much I had a dog! But I am lucky now because I still get to see part of my family who live almost touching. Still at night and other times I can feel alone.

Anyway, just know you are not alone in feeling lonelySmiley HappyHeart

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

@ValuSkr  ......  Good advise! Really enjoy mine.