Honored Contributor

Do you think there's an age or time in life when it's too late to start over somewhere?

[ Edited ]

This was the topic of conversation over lunch with the in-laws and family friends. We're at the beach and someone mentioned how great it would be to move here. Others said, no, it was too late to do something like that due to their age (those responding to the question said they were too old).

I started to think about it and is there? If so, is it due to money, health issues, not being able to deal with change? I can see my in-laws moving to the other side of the world and having no problem with it and they're in their mid 80's (you would never know it). I know another couple in their late 40's who would be miserable because it would mean change: of friends, having to find a place to live, culture, food....they LOVE routine and want nothing to do with change. 

DH and I have traveled and lived all over the world (not while married but before we met- our trips to the UK and a few other places are it for us traveling now). Our children have NOT had the opportunities we had for seeing the world and yet, being honest, I really don't feel ANY desire to travel anymore.....when did THAT happen?!

Just wondering what others thought. : )

Respected Contributor

Re: Do you think there's an age or time in life when it's too late to start over somewhere?

I think that if the desire is there, and its financially feasible its never too late.

We just did that exact thing.  ok, we only moved 100 miles away, but the weather and environment are different. 

We don't know a soul in town, but we are really liking it.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you think there's an age or time in life when it's too late to start over somewhere?

[ Edited ]

I want to move when we retire in our 60's. Not really starting over. Plan on moving into a Condo of some type by the time we are in our 80's. We don't want to deal with any maintenance.

I want to move where my sister will also be moving plus I have 2 brothers within an hour of there. Seriously thinking of buying my dads house.

I also have aunts, uncles & cousins that are still around living in the area.

Have lived around DH's family all my life & now it's my turn to live by family before we are all gone.

Respected Contributor

never too late as long as you are still breathing

Super Contributor

I'm 70 and I was a wanderer until the grandkids came along. Now I am happy in place. And I am needed so that made all the difference for me. I hope you find your happy place.

Honored Contributor

Financial limitations could be a viable reason to stay in a place one can afford.

Super Contributor

I'm 70 and I was a travel wanderer until the grandkids came along. Now I am happy in place. And I am needed so that made all the difference for me. I hope you find your happy place.

Honored Contributor

Hubby and I are in our 70's and we moved 2 years ago.  We are very content and would not move now.  Mostly because we would not want the headache and stress of moving.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

Never. But as you said, it depends on one's mindset. 

Some people are "old" at 40. Your in laws would have no problem relocating at 80. Some people are forced to begin again and some people never left the starting gate. How you face a challenge and overcome it develops resilience.

I have had girlfriends who have always been totally dependent either financially or emotionally. I have a friend who would fall apart if she lost her Cul de Sac life with McMansion, mini van and Costco membership. What she truly wanted to do with her life, she never even tried.

As Eminem once sang "you only get one shot".... 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

IF you are moving where you have family and or friends, no.  Otherwise, why on earth move where you don't know a soul?  

If you are moving away somewhere where your kids are far away and will have to take care of you from afar, that's not fair to them.