Regular Contributor

Re: Do you sleep with a fan on or some other kind of "white" noise?

I slept with a white noise machine for years.  Now my husband and I just use a fan year round, not pointed at us lol.  i can't sleep when it is silent. 

Esteemed Contributor

@bri20 wrote:

We sleep with a ceiling fan on every night.  It doesn't make noise.  I can't sleep if there is any noise 

I am the same way.  Our ceiling fans are whisper quiet,otherwise it would drive me nuts!  I don't want any "noise" when I sleep, I  would want to hear/know if something was happening!!!

Respected Contributor

@colliegirls wrote:

@bri20 wrote:

We sleep with a ceiling fan on every night.  It doesn't make noise.  I can't sleep if there is any noise 

I am the same way.  Our ceiling fans are whisper quiet,otherwise it would drive me nuts!  I don't want any "noise" when I sleep, I  would want to hear/know if something was happening!!!

The only noise I tolerate is rain.  There is something about hearing the rain outside that is very peaceful. 

Otherwise, it has to be pitch black and very quiet and very cool in my room. 

Honored Contributor

I definitely sleep better with White noise, I have my ceiling fan going as well a regular fan, I do this all year long, and in the winter sometimes, I crack my window, hubby hates this, but I don't do it often...We both have to have some white noise though!

Honored Contributor

@nyc1 wrote:

@ALRATIBA wrote:

If noise bothers you - you could never live in Manhattan.  Fortunately, I can control the noise.

One of the "joys" of wearing hearing aids - I have peace and quiet when I take them out.  

@ALRATIBA  I live in the northern suberbs of Chicago now,  and when I go back to NY and stay with my sister, who lives in the city,  it makes me smile to hear all the noises at night.....   the sound of garbage being collected at 3AM...   crashing glass from the recycle trucks at 4AM, sirens, etc.   I LOVE IT!   All the sounds of home!

@nyc1  Funny about the noises of the city ...

Apparently I had been gradually losing my hearing over 10/15 years.  So gradually that I never noticed it until I developed tinnitis and went to see an ENT and we found a moderate hearing loss ... and I ended up with 2 hearing aids about 10 years ago.

I didn't know how noisy NYC is until I got the hearing aids! I thought the reason I never heard sirens was because I lived on the 10th Floor.  My audiologist warned me I would be "surprised" by the noise ... and was I ever surprised!  Fortunately, I have a remote control that allows me to turn them off or lower the volume when I'm somewhere particularly noisy!   

Esteemed Contributor

I used to sleep with a fan directly on me all year long.  Now, I don't have it pointed at me and I don't used it once it gets down to about 40 degrees or so.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

Even in the winter I sleep with ceiling fan and Holmes portable fan on.  I have to have cold and white noise.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

I have my radio on all night long. Sports talk radio shows...so boring I nod off pretty quick.  I can't sleep without the radio. We also leave a radio on when we leave the house for the dogs.  

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, we sleep with a dehumidifer on that is older and makes noise. Because I am originally from the city and I missed noise living in the country now. My husband has gotten used to it too, that if its not on he cant sleep. We really should get a sound machine though instead.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles